PDA

View Full Version : 6 foot planted journal.

wobbles
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 06:14 AM
Hi

Been a while since ive posted on here. Havent got round to building a new tank after a move from Melbourne to Sydney. Anyway, finally started.

Heres a pic.

Its still cloudy as I only put water in 2 hours ago, and the scape isnt right yet. The large rock at the front is only there to hold the driftwood down. The plan is for a Japanese style scape. Eventually there will be a carpet of Glosso, and the driftwood and rocks are forming the basis of a 'mound' off center to the right. Ive got java fern and ambulia in there to soak up the light, but they will be gone soon.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

wobbles
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 06:16 AM
Just looked at the pic and the lights look blue! Its not the case, just the light settings on my camera. Cheers

Greggy
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 06:30 AM
Setting up a new tank is always very exciting! I certainly get a 'buzz' every time I set up a new tank, even the small ones, however big tanks are the most fun!

Good luck and remember not to rush anything especially when cycling the tank.

Regards,

Greggy

fishgeek
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:14 AM
it would have been easier to plant the glosso then fill the tank

save stirring up the substrate or struggling reaching down into a large water filled tank, it looks large

what lighting do you have seems to be spot or point lighting rather than strip?

would be nice if that is the case to give a bit of surface ripple so that light bounce's around like natural

andrew

Mr Discus
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hey wobbles - good luck with the setup, I'm sure it will look fantastic once matured.

Can I put forward a suggestion - I have been reading up over the last 2 weeks on aquascaping, and it looks like you have your focal point (background rockwork and driftwood) a little too far to the right.

If you move it maybe 15cm to the left I think you will almost have it. The ratio is 1:1.618. It is easiest to find this point if you measure your tank from end to end (approx 1800mm), and divide it by 2.618.

That leaves you with 687.5mm (or thereabouts), so if you measure from the right hand side of your tank and mark where 687mm is, that is basically where the focal point should be.

I am by no means an expert, but I am a graphic designer and the first thing I noticed when I saw your tank and the focal point, it looked too far to the right.

Keep us updated with pics for progress!

fish_r
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:40 PM
looks like ur off to a good start wobbles, looking forward to seeing it progress.

wobbles
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hey wobbles - good luck with the setup, I'm sure it will look fantastic once matured.

Can I put forward a suggestion - I have been reading up over the last 2 weeks on aquascaping, and it looks like you have your focal point (background rockwork and driftwood) a little too far to the right.

If you move it maybe 15cm to the left I think you will almost have it. The ratio is 1:1.618. It is easiest to find this point if you measure your tank from end to end (approx 1800mm), and divide it by 2.618.

That leaves you with 687.5mm (or thereabouts), so if you measure from the right hand side of your tank and mark where 687mm is, that is basically where the focal point should be.

I am by no means an expert, but I am a graphic designer and the first thing I noticed when I saw your tank and the focal point, it looked too far to the right.

Keep us updated with pics for progress!

Nice one! Ill look into that

Mr Discus
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 06:50 AM
Now that I think about it that number sounds wrong wobbles!?!

687mm from the right seems too far to the right to me. I know that the 'golden ratio' seems to punch that number out when calculated, but I would simply move the focal point 15 or 20cm left. IMO that will look much more balanced.

It should end up being a little bit off centre.

If you google 'aquascaping golden rule', there are loads of articles on it that you can read, and you should see what I mean.

wobbles
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:20 AM
Changed the scape a bit. Put some more plants in, but some are still just to be used to soak up nutrients and light whilst the tank cycles.

Matt15
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 07:32 AM
I love watching tank journals from scratch. Can't wait to see the progress of your work wobbles. Looks good so far......... :o

Mr Discus
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
Looks alot better wobbles!

I like it with the plants. Keep us updated on the progress.

wobbles
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 05:45 AM
The latest pic. Filling in ok. Still waiting on some plants, but the water is starting to look like aquarium water which is always a good thing.

Matt15
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 06:17 AM
Its really starting to take shape which is good. Can't wait to see the finished product. It must be hard being patient....!!

Barry N
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 06:23 AM
Looking good wobbles :thumb It's come a fair way since the first post a few weeks back - keep us posted.

wobbles
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 07:10 AM
Latest shot. Think the cycle is almost complete, so ill be rescaping soon!

JoeDiscus85
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
nice nice what a transition

happygirl65
Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:39 PM
OOOOOhhh AAAAAhhhh! Looking VERY nice! I love what you have done with the branches and how they will create a cave of sorts as things fill in more.
VERY nice!

wobbles
Sat Aug 09, 2008, 04:17 AM
Heres an updated pic. Still very much a work in progress, but its starting to take shape a bit. Just added some tetras and hair grass at the front left.

dearis
Fri Aug 15, 2008, 12:43 AM
Nice looking tank love the layout

SusieQ
Sat Aug 16, 2008, 07:02 PM
Wobbles... Love the way the tank is coming along. The plants really look great with the driftwood. What do you plan on stocking it with when it's finished...Is the carpet grass gonna be in the left side only??? I think that would be very interesting instead of a carpet everywhere. Good luck with it. Sue :D :D

aquafrogstuff
Sun Aug 17, 2008, 01:47 PM
Looks good. What sort of lighting are you using?? You had good growth between early Feb and March.

wobbles
Sun Aug 17, 2008, 08:29 PM
Im using 4 54 watt HOT5s and 2 80 watt HOT5s. The 2 80W are on a sunset dimmer.

wobbles
Sat Sep 13, 2008, 04:51 AM
Latest scape. I think this is close to the look im after. Lots a room for growth.

wobbles
Sat Oct 04, 2008, 04:27 AM
Some nice growth over a month. Still filling in nicely......

wobbles
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 04:54 AM
Latest pic. I just trimmed the plant on the left, so it looks a bit stringy, but I think the overall scape is developing nicely.

wobbles
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 05:17 AM
Some different views of the tank...

rwel4809
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 05:29 AM
Fantastic work Wobbles, the hairgrass looks so clean! how do you keep the algae out of it!

wobbles
Mon Nov 03, 2008, 05:52 AM
Fantastic work Wobbles, the hairgrass looks so clean! how do you keep the algae out of it!

I seem to have some sort of balance going. I dont have to clean the grass at all.