PDA

View Full Version : Buying new fish

tanzy
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:19 AM
I am heading to Melbourne on the weekend and I would like to buy three new Discus. I have been recommended to go to Oakleigh Aquarium, by people that once breed Discus in my town. They have not been into Discus for along time now, so I was wondering if Oakleigh is a good place or not? The prices on their web page seem very cheap, maybe too cheap.

Also is a standard 2ft tank OK to QC three small Discus? I have never QC that many at a time.

If so should I do water changes everyday on such a small tank or is twice a week OK?

Finally should I prazi and metro these fish during the QC period or just observe them for any health issues, like I have done before (I would really like to be on the safe side). I have just been through hex with my Discus that all had normal poo colour and perfect health.

Kind Regards

Kell

the german
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:44 AM
tank size sounds ok,i would say 2x a week WC is ok.
i never use medication when i dont know if they have a disease.

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 04:53 AM
Hi Kell, Oakleigh have had very good discus in the past, but I've also been there when there was not much left in the tanks, and what was left wasn't top quality.

I guess it's going to depend if you arrive soon after they've received a new shipment.

A standard 2 foot is fine for quarantine, just make sure you have an airstone in there as well as a mature filter.

Worming the fish with Levamisole during the quarantine period is a good idea, but I wouldn't use Prazi unless the fish are showing signs of gill or body flukes.

Keep the Metro for times when you really need it.

grumpyguy
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 06:10 AM
I actually called Oakleigh on Saturday to see when the next shipment was due and Mac said it would be in March sometime. I think the last shipment was from Nov, but don't quote me on that. Maybe call and see what he has on hand. I've gotten quite a few from him in the last year. Some are very nice and others are just nice. I tend to get smaller fish off of him and you just get some average ones that way. He usually has some nice larger fish in stock though.

I was down at Keysborough over the weekend and he had some pretty sweet fish. It will just depend on what you're looking for either place. We got 2 fine line snakeskins that look pretty promising for their size. I just hope its a male and female.

regards
scott