PDA

View Full Version : Finally got swimmers -- NEXT PROBLEM!!!

Ozboc
Sun Feb 03, 2008, 02:31 AM
Ok one pair of my discus have finally let there eggs hatch , this is there first time ( after laying eggs for the past few months and always eating them within 24 hours )

So i presumed they were just going to do the same again , so left them in the Display tank - now i have about 30 + baby fish that are now 1.5 days old -- but they have all gone to one of the logs in the tank - rather than to the parents -- My question is - are they doomed as they are not feeding of the parents ???

i will send both parents to the other tank for the next time , just in the mean time is there any help you can offer -- thanks

Boc

ILLUSN
Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:11 AM
there isn't much chance of saving them if they wont attach, you could remove them and try to raise them artificially, but your better off letting them go and then putting the parents in their own tank.

samir
Sun Feb 03, 2008, 06:58 AM
now i have about 30 + baby fish that are now 1.5 days old -- but they have all gone to one of the logs in the tank - rather than to the parents

so you remove the log

the german
Sun Feb 03, 2008, 07:03 AM
i guess they are still not free swimming, maybe you can move the parents and the wriggler into a breeding tank

Ozboc
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:29 AM
now i have about 30 + baby fish that are now 1.5 days old -- but they have all gone to one of the logs in the tank - rather than to the parents

so you remove the log

easier said than done -- i have a 700 litre tank - fully stocked with plants and other logs -- the log they are on is about 15 Kg + and very large -- i would basically have to pull everytihng out to get it out- destroying plants also

I also have 7 other discus in the same tank - so not going to start pulling my display tank apart especially for fish that have very little chance of surviving

but for the record they are now 3 days old -- free swimming and still alive .... thought they would be dead by now .....

Boc

djceri_g
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:58 AM
cant you try netting them?

samir
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:12 PM
you wont have much luck in that size tank, no point netting them, just let nature take its course, and put them in a breeding tank the next time.

Ozboc
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:27 AM
you wont have much luck in that size tank, no point netting them, just let nature take its course, and put them in a breeding tank the next time.

As i said in my original message - i will put them into my other 4 foot tank next time ( ie within the next few days as they are already starting there usual cleaning ritual )

My other tank has nothing in it but water and a breeding cone ---- hope they like it as its a huge change from the other tank

Boc

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 06:17 AM
dont go too big a tank or the fry will get lost and swim themselves to death, 4 footer is very hard IMO, a 2x1.5x1.5 is as big as i'd like to go, even then I'd only 1/2 fill it once they start cleaning.