PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this fish?

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:11 PM
G'day All,
this is one of those fish that got plague last year and never seemed to fully recover, it eats like a pig, it pushes all the other fish around, yet over the last 6 months its fin rot has gotten worse and worse and it just doesn't put on any weight despite eating more then the 11 other fish in the tank!

over the past 8 months...

its been through 3 bath treatments of metro (25mg/L) and 2 feed treatments (2g/100g).

its had 2 treatments of levimenisole (1mL BIG-L/7L x2) and 3 treatments with prazi (2x bath 1xoral @400mg/100g).

Its even had 2 pp baths at 10mg/L for 18 and 21min respectivly.

now its got bad stools again! all other fish in the tank have propper stools.

the diet is varied and includes beefheart mix, breeders blend flake, MAC's Spirolina Flake, color bits, Spirolina fed live brineshrimp, freeze dried black worms and occasional baby guppies.

what do you all think?

samir
Fri Feb 01, 2008, 11:43 AM
prob get a pair of scissors, disinfect them and cut around all the finrot, then a 10 day with something like tetracycline or furan2

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:03 PM
Cheers Samir,

i was actually more worried about the stools, the fin rot should fix itself up once i get the damn fish back on track, this one just likes being stubborn LOL

taksan
Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:18 PM
I like the idea of the Tetracycline even though it kills the biofilter. Fin rot like that is a bugger to get rid of and sometimes you just have to nuke it.

fishgeek
Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:20 PM
just guessing liver shunt! or failure for some reason

an animal eating well and not gaining weight has to have some form of malabsorbtion... ie food not being digested properly and or absorbed across the gut properly ... that would certainly lead to poor quality stool

malassimilation, ie inability of the fish to turn absorbed nutrients into fish

or higher metabolic needs(cancers, hyperthyroidism) or wastage of nutrients Diabetes Diarrohea losses, Nephropathy

just thinking first principles