PDA

View Full Version : Are Wilds more sensitive or tricky to keep?

happygirl65
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 01:52 AM
I have heard that the wild caught discus are harder to keep. Any truth to that?

Can they be acclimated to a higher pH?

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:20 AM
wilds havn't spent generations in harder more alkaline water like domestics have, i doubt that their biochemistry would ever adapt in a single fish life time to suit more alkaline water (say about 6.8-7) and still work propperly for good growth and reproduction.

taksan
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 04:59 AM
I have heard that the wild caught discus are harder to keep. Any truth to that?

Yes they are MUCH harder to keep and cannot really be kept above a ph of high 6's at most

happygirl65
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:30 PM
Well I can get domestics, I am just exploring my options.

My planted tank is 6.6 after co2 is injected and stays stable at that value. But the KH is 7 degrees....would that stress them?

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:27 PM
Kh of 7 isn't hard water, most places recomend a level of atleast 5 to keep the ph stable.

I'd still go domestics if i were you, less heart breaking ;)

happygirl65
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
Well, less heartbreak is important. :) Especially since I will be paying so much to ship them to me :)

Thanks so much for the advice.

I have found this to be one of the friendliest forums! ;) I see a lot of "judgement" and one upping on each other's knowlege on some other boards.

I come for advice, not to read all about how much smarter people think they are than everyone else....lol.

Anyway,sorry for venting that.

This place is great and I will keep visiting!

samir
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:36 AM
"judgement" and one upping on each other's knowlege on some other boards.

that's because I haven't posted yet :lol: :lol:

I've been keeping wilds at 6.5 for the last couple of months and the problems have started. Unhealthy domestics can be very hard as well, so make sure you get fat, greedy and friendly domestic discus.

taksan
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:52 AM
problems?

samir
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:33 PM
problems?

bit off colour