PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma Nijsseni

bigbird
Tue Jan 29, 2008, 09:47 PM
Gday All

New member, hope all is well this morning.
I am looking for a LFS in Sydney that sells Apsitogrammas.
All in my area do not. Can somebody please assist me ?

cheers :D

scott bowler
Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
welcome bigbird i dont know were you can get them but if you give wayne at xtreme a call he might be able to help, he is at taren point , good luck with it

bigbird
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:00 PM
Gday Scott,

Thanks for your reply. have half a day off work today, so will pop in also to Aqua Pets in Bondi and look at their stock and will drop in to extreme on the way home.

Will let you know what they have

Cheers Bigbird :D

flaggy
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:20 PM
Bigbird, in Bondi Junction, you'll probably find (amongst other apistos), 2 species that have been mislabled -

1) The A. sp Winklefleck there is actually A. sp Masken
2) The A. meinkeni is actually Apistogramma sp. Erdfresser/Eartheater (watch for the lyrate tail)

I don't think it's their fault though as someone told me the same thing happened in the UK with fish from a german source.

In any case, they look good once they settle:

My A. sp Masken

http://flaggy.wemmit.net/masken3.jpg

My Apistogramma sp. Erdfresser/Eartheater (it is now showing more blue on the bottom half compared with when I took the picture)

http://flaggy.wemmit.net/mein%20(3).JPG

bigbird
Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hello Flaggy,

Thanks for that info. Must say at Aqua Pets in Bondi, was very impressed with the cleanliness of the store and quality of fish. He stated that end FEB early MAR he will get new german stock of Apistos.

I was very please with the Apsito Sp Erdfresser ( wild caught) Loved the colour and fins, so bought 1M and 3F. U are correct he did have them as Meinkeni. I must say in google thought they do look the same.

I am now waiting for them to get Nijsseni or panduro. I just came back from Germany and just loved the look of these Apistos.

Will go tommorrow to B N C in Matraville to see what they have.

Cheers

flaggy
Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:55 AM
You can find some discussions on the ID of these in Apistogramma forum. I guess one obvious difference is that the meikeni has rounded tails, while these ones are lyrate.

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=7172&highlight=Erdfresser

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=7126&highlight=Erdfresser

Did they still have some A. baenschi left? The are from the Nijsseni group (as are the panduros) which you seem to like! If you get a male from the shop and maybe able to buy a female from Thomas!

bigbird
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 10:29 AM
Wow thanks all for your advice. B and C at Matraville has some excellent Apistos on show and the store is super clean. I finally picked up the Pando , however also had to buy the MacMasteri Superior red and also Agazzi Doble body red. The tank looks complete now.

You are correct in stating that the Meinkeni was mislabled and I will point it out to Aqua pets when I see them on friday. The info on the dicsussion group IE Meinkeni and Erdfresser was a good source of information

cheers

bigbird
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 10:31 AM
sorry flaggy,

no did not buy any Baenschi at Aqua pets, as far as I could remember they had none left.

cheers

Robdog
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:26 PM
I finally picked up the Pando

Does that mean you found some A. panduro or Panda Dwarf Cichlids (A. nijsseni)??

bigbird
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:28 PM
Morning, no picked up the Apisto Panduro.
I asked him if he could get some A. Nijsseni in next time and stated he will have a look.

Just for your info however, he received new stock about 7days ago, imports from Germany and he has approx 12 varieties in stock. From Panduro, Macmasteri, double red body Agazzi and many more. The next shipment at B N C is in approx 2 weeks

Cheers

bigbird
Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:30 PM
Morning, no picked up the Apisto Panduro.
I asked him if he could get some A. Nijsseni in next time and stated he will have a look.

Just for your info however, he received new stock about 7days ago, imports from Germany and he has approx 12 varieties in stock. From Panduro, Macmasteri, double red body Agazzi and many more. The next shipment at B N C is in approx 2 weeks

Cheers

Noddy65
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:21 AM
Oh dear...sounds like I might have to go and have a look.
Mike