PDA

View Full Version : need help regarding a young pair of discus

locksmith999
Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi all i am having trouble with a pair i have that are just adults 11cms and have spawned a few times in 7ft tank with 15 other happy discus all eggs seem to be fertile at time of laying until day 2 when i get 1 white egg then another few as day three approaches during day three they are eating there eggs, the eggs start off greyish\ brown and look viable but cant get this pair to wriggler stage, i know i should cage the eggs to stop the eating behaviour but since i put them into there glass bottom 2ft x18inx18in breeding tank they have settled in and spawned last night 28/01 but all the eggs are white inside 24hrs and all i have in the tank is a sponge filter to aid the male in not having to much current in the water for milting, and good water at 5.8ph 20ppm gh 0 ammonia 0 nitirite no nitrate 31deg celcius temp
the male plays an active role in spawning as far as i can tell and is a male for sure!!!lol
any advise on my many issues would be gr8.
P.S. the current eggs are white after 24hrs should i remove the spawning cone and take the eggs off? asking as female seems to want to respawn but male is guarding the cone stopping her because of the white crappy batch! should i let them try again str8 away?SHE is keen as mustard lmao! :D
regards locksmithy

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
leave them be and give them another go, are you sure you dont have 2 females?

locksmith999
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:02 AM
hi and thankyou for your reply i am almost 100% i have a male with her i am lucky enough to have discus41 aka Ian as a good friend and he has been to my place had a look a is certain its a boy also lil buggers just need time i think just searchin for a quick fix lol have moved them into 120 litre tank with sponge filtration and daily water change of 30 liters so hoping like mad that the second or 3rd batch in this tank work out or im gonna try another bigger male that i know for a fact works.
the male i have with her is a stunning fish and i wont give up until i know for sure!
it is a game of time :D
regards locksmith