PDA

View Full Version : Bolivia Butterflies

riverlanddiscus
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:39 AM
I have a male and female and they have laid eggs in my discus tank. Unfortunately the eggs disappear within hours. I am in the process of setting up a 95 litre tank with same water parameters as discus tank. The tank I have is an open one without lids. Didn't really think about that until I put a flying fox in to make sure water is ok, and found him on floor this morning. Very dead! Do butterflies jump too?

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:51 AM
yep

riverlanddiscus
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:59 AM
One of those answers I didnt really want! Apart from the obvious and ordering lids which is very difficult here, is there any other way to stop them jumping out. Like a mesh?

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 03:01 AM
a mate of mine used fly screen and gaffa tape, look attrocious, but did the job till his lids arrived, and glass shop should be able to cut you a couple of pices of 4mm glass for a lid though.

fishgeek
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 06:02 PM
glad wrap ...!

Th0mas
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've tried the glad wrap in the past - the problem with it is the water condensation can seep outside the tank. I think the fly screen mesh is a better idea.

fishgeek
Tue Jan 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
put a small weight in the centre of the glad wrap and the water runs back in and drips from there

amazon dee
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hi there,
Might be an old reply but I have a pr of butterflys and they have had babies about 6 times now.
First batch lasted a few days.
2nd batch a week
3rd batch 2 weeks and now they get them to about half cm long.

Theother fish eat them.
The butterflys keep a real tight watch in the beginning but then foolishly let them wander from the hollow in the pebble.
I have appistogrammas who love caves and hiding so they creep up and feed themselves.

Also do not be concerned if you think they eat their young. They dont, the parents will put them into their mouths to protect them and return them to their hollow in the pebble.

If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.
Amazon Dee