PDA

View Full Version : I'm upgrading to an Eheim 2250

Greggy
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:18 AM
Hey people,

Due to the excessive bypass and difficulties servicing my Aqua One 2450 canister filer I've decided to replace it with the simple yet very effective Eheim 2250 canister filter. This will compliment the Eheim 2228 caniser filter which also currently services my 6x2x2.

I considered the Fluval FX5 again but I cannot fault the design strengths of the Eheim Classic series where water enters at the bottom of the filter and exits at the top for 0% bypass. Simple but effective works for me!

I also thought about just gettng an Eheim 2217 Classic but I like the idea of a 'big' canister with a simple replacable water pump.

Oh well, I hope you all think I'm doing the right thing. I think so but I'm happy to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Greggy

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:54 AM
2250 is a beast!!!!!!!!
you can always change the pump on that thing to a 1262 and have 3400L of flow when ever you feel like it.

I'm not sure your aware of how much extra media your going to need, the 2250 has more media capacity then the aquis 2450.

you'll love the 2250!!!!

Greggy
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 05:19 AM
Yep I'm looking forward to the new 2250 Classic thats for sure, I'll get as much quality media as it needs.

From now on its Eheim all the way... all the imitation/cheap crap just isn't worth the bother.

It will be like xmas when it arrives! :)

Greggy

Greggy
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 12:41 PM
The new Eheim 2250 Classic is installed and running well. A few leaks here and there but nothing that cannot be corrected.

Look out for my own Eheim 2250 Classic filter review in a few weeks once I've had time to properly evaluate it. In terms of media I decided to go simple. The bottom layer usually has ceramic noodles but I opted for 2" thick coarse filter foam cut perfectly to size so that it fits in the base of the filter nice and snug. I then filled the media bag with about 5L of Eheim Substrat Pro and then on top I placed two layers of fine filter wool again cut to size so that it fits snug with no chance for water to get around the side of it. I used 4L of substrat pro taken from the inside of the old Aqua One 2450 and then mixed in another 1L of new substrat pro so the Eheim 2250 is already partially cycled. All up there is about 5L of Eheim substrat pro media in there but I really need to add about another 1 or 2 litres of it as I have not completely filled the canister yet. It's a BIG canister to fill thats for sute, and with no media baskets taking up room its amazing just how much more media fits in this filter compared to the Aqua One 2450.

As a preview of my review I can tell you this filter has absolutely NO bypass and in terms of being a good mechanical filter I think the only filter that could be better would be it's bigger brother the Eheim 2260 Classic.

The inside of the Eheim 2250's spray bar is sparkling clean where as the inside of the spray bar of the Aqua One 2450 could literally get small leaves stuck in there (yes on the INSIDE) that had managed to completely bypass the filter media all together.. just imagne how much water was bypassing inside of the Aqua One 2450 if small leaves could make it through!

No chance of that happening with this Eheim 2250 Classic!!!

Regards,

Greggy