PDA

View Full Version : Wild Caught or Tank Bred?

happygirl65
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hello,
I am really getting ready to order soon and the place I have decided to order from has some 5 inch wild caught Discus for a reasonable price.

They said that all fish are free of disease and any wild species have been treated and quarantined twice before ever shipping out to customers.

I can also order 3 inch tank bred discus for less money.

The idea of getting full grown discus thrills me as the thought of instant beauty is really appealing. But I have heard that wild discus are fussier than tank bred discus.

I also like all the vibrant colorings of the tank bred discus.

So, is there some advice you can offer for one vs the other? How true is the statement that wilds are tougher to keep?

I have decided to use the 46gal planted

Would neon tetras become a snack for a wild caught 5 inch discus?

Are the wild caught discus harder to acclimate and keep happy?

And would they be happy in hard water? (I have 7 dKH well water)

Thanks in advance!

discuslover
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:53 AM
Happygirl,
you are forgetting the benefits of seeing the juvie tank breds up and with luck seeing them pair up and breed. Also i personally you will need to make a decision if you like the colour schemes of tank bred varieties or the true wild strains.

thats my 2 cents worth
Simon

happygirl65
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:06 AM
This is true... :) I always like to see all points of view.

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 03:03 AM
the bigger ones will give you less hassel, though wilds ike a lower ph and this may upset your plants, id go for adult domestics if you can, something red would look good in a lush planted tank.

the german
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 03:41 AM
i guess people have all different likings,its a very hard question.
i would say its more exiting to see wilds spawn than tank raised fish but thats my view of things.
i dont think you will have probs with plants when yo pick the right ones,i kept wilds in germany and had never probs with plants.
i think very important for a really good look is a group of fish from the same strain,its just awesome :D dosent matter wild or red or blue