PDA

View Full Version : Discus laid eggs

jeff8428
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
I recently purchased and added more discus to my tank, within two days my large pigeon blood was guarding eggs that had been laid. The problem is I don't know which one it has paired off with. It has been staying next to a large blue diamond and been shaking around it but is also often with another pigeon blood. Is the pigeon blood guarding the eggs the female? I am sure I have no chanch of the hatching in my 90 gallon tank. Just trying to figure out what to do next. Do I even know if they have been fertilized and is it the female guarding them. Have a breeding tank I am setting up but not sure what to do. Do I just wait and will it become evident what is the pair., or could the female just have laid the eggs without pairing up. As soon as I added the new fish it would shake and shimmy every once in a while in the tank. Could it just be looking for a partner. Appreciate any help you can give me

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:19 PM
you'll just have to keep an eye on them, the pair should be chasing all other fish away.

jeff8428
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:30 PM
So they will not lay eggs until they have paired up? The larger one is staying right on them facing them and not moving, the smaller one is kinda close but not right beside them. The smaller one is only about 3" I thought it would be to small to be breeding

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:37 PM
the eggs might not be fertile, time will tell, id say the 2 fish nearest the eggs are the pair.

time for another tank :)

jeff8428
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:57 PM
Well they ate the eggs, woke up this morning and they were gone. I am assuming the female guarding them did it, she would not let any other fish even close. Still do not know which one she paired with for sure. What should I do next? She is swimming around alone does not seem to be with another male. Do I just wait and let them lay again and hope I can find the pair and then move to a breeder tank. Any ideas?

jeff8428
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 01:58 PM
forgot to mention the eggs appeared feartilized from what I have read on here. Almost all were brown except for maybe 10 that were white. Am I right assuming they were fertilized.