PDA

View Full Version : Determining Litres in the tank

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Guys,

I cannot remember the formula to convert feet into litres and cannot find it on the net. I remember that the Sterazin bottle has it listed but thats at home. From memory its L x W x H / 1000 but think that may be wrong?

I thought my 3ft x 1ft X 2ft tank was 200l, not 169L :oops:

lil confused :?:

revkev
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:07 AM
44.88312 US gallons OR 169.90108 liters

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hi

Im after Litres and i know 3.78 lires = 1 Gallon so can work the gallons ok (i prefer to work in Litres). But yeah, is the formula i posted the correct formula to work out Litres from the Tank ft size?

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:22 AM
multiply length x width x height in cm then divide by 1000 = liters

eg

90x30x60=162000cm3=162L

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:06 AM
Ok Great,

Thanks a bunch for clarifying that for me

Matt15
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:39 AM
I cheat and use this site everytime I want to calculate a tanks gallons and liters. All you need are the inches/centimetres.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:53 AM
Brilliant!! :cheers

Lucky i have only treated with Sterazin so far and not something i could have overdosed and killed them with. Im kinda depressed though because now my tank is smaller then i thought it was :roll: Need to hurry up and get me a biggen!

Matt15
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:57 AM
lol... mate i think its mankinds instinct to always want BIGGER/FASTER/BETTER everything. I'm also standing in line for a bigger tank, I just have to get the approval from the minister or war and finance (the wife.) :lol:

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:06 AM
I hear you. Proteus has a nice 5ft up in 4 days which i like. Ive started the bidding early, purely based on jiddery excitment and im hoping Stacey will see the light. :P

Matt15
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:14 AM
lol... sounds like we're all avid browsers of e-bays aquarium section. I'm always bidding but only If i know its a quality tank that I can get for cheap cheap.
I did win a gorgeous 6ft tank with timber hood/cabinet once for only $276.75 but the seller withdrew the sale and said he had to for sale somewhere else. I saw the same seller e-bay it again two weeks later and it went for $600+. I was not impressed at all.... :x

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:23 AM
Oh Thats Nasty Matt. I would have been pretty upset about that deal. Speaking of quality tanks. Is there something i should be looking out for when hunting for new tanks? What makes a quality tank or are they pretty standard as long as thickness of the glass supports the size of the tank?

I should have probably searched for this in the forum actually.

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:42 AM
ps, Just wanted to add that there is this shop near where im living at the moment that sells 2ft tanks for 27.50 and 3ft ones for 69.0 and so on, which i thought was cheap and wanted to get some more holding tanks etc on stand bye just incase i ever get into breeding to sell and the likes. I wont get them if i can tell they will be bad... if there is such a thing as a bad tank.

Matt15
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:43 AM
MMMmmm.... i guess its up to the individual. The idea of a fish tank is pretty simple, but can get more complex when dealing with built-in filtration systems etc.
I personally prefer the standard 10mm glass with a colonial timber stand/hood combo.

But these days there are soo many new designs and makes coming from Asia especially China.
There's a few designs i've seen over the years which have cabinets made from chipboard. GESSHHHH.... who the hell thought of that idea :roll: or the old plastic tank which gets scratched to bits with rocks and alge cleaners.

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:55 AM
Gotcha. Plastic not fantastic. :wink:

Im outta here. Emjoy the long W/E

scott bowler
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:58 AM
Aaron81
save this to your favs mate it may help
http://www.petfish.net/calculators/calculate.php

AHC
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 05:02 AM
Great thank you :D

boost.puppy
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 05:53 AM
ps, Just wanted to add that there is this shop near where im living at the moment that sells 2ft tanks for 27.50 and 3ft ones for 69.0 and so on, which i thought was cheap and wanted to get some more holding tanks etc on stand bye just incase i ever get into breeding to sell and the likes. I wont get them if i can tell they will be bad... if there is such a thing as a bad tank.

that wouldn't happen to be on queen st? would it? because if it's the shop I'm thinking of, they have great plants there too!

AHC
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hi, yes it is Queen st. Its a fairly new shop i understand about half way up the st. Maybe called Aquarama Aquariums? not the pet store and not the one opposite the station. I think when i move again i will still be going there for cheap stuff :wink: