PDA

View Full Version : Discus shaking

jeff8428
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:15 PM
I have 2 discus tanks and yesterday switched some fish between the two tanks. After watching a little while I noticed my largest pigeon blood ( which was not relocated, still in same tank) will start shaking for a few seconds every once in a while. He may do it every minute or so than stop or it may go an hour between. It is like he is just sitting still and will shake sideways for a few seconds. This is my largest and favorite discus and I am just wondering if anyone has had this happen. I did move some larger discus in there than he is used to being with. I am wondering if he is just trying to show his dominance to the new fish or if something is wrong with him. I have had all the other fish for 6 months so I don't think there is anything wrong with the ones I have added. He just started doing it a few minutes after I added the larger discus. He is still the largest in the tank. Appreciate any ideas or suggestions

scott bowler
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
jeff i dont think there is any thing to worry about , it can be a number of things , but i would just keep an eye on it. i have fish that do it too some times , it could be the water has changed a little or it my be wanting to spawn . so just keep an eye on it and see if there is any other changes in the next few days .

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:33 PM
proably spawning behaviour

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:52 AM
I agree with ILLUSN.

Love is in the air (or in this case, the water ).

Matt15
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:30 AM
Ya... its like a mating dance you see some birds do on the Discovery Channel :wink:

the german
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
proably spawning behaviour
????
when thas not it what else can it be :D

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 08:35 PM
when thas not it what else can it be

irritant in the water, but thats usually associated with a darkening of the fish, or clamped fins, a cloudy eye or excess slime.

flukes, but again you'd see the fish rubbing against things, and occasionally heavy breathing.

slight drop in ph, but again would expect to see clouding of the eye.

if the fish look good and are hungry, they are proably ok.

the german
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
but now we talk about a different thing than the shaking when they get ready to spawn what i wouldnt call shaking thats more of a rubin against things and short violent shakes

jeff8428
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:02 PM
It just laid eggs so I guess that probably answers my questions, please see my post in breeding for questions I have on the eggs, Thanks All