PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUS problem....fifth time spawn........any idea???

sportivo888
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 05:09 AM
Hi everyone,

ok let the story begin,

first time, they eat the eat after lay
second time, eat agian
third time, eat agian
fourth time, the egg last 2 day and few of them start changing to white colour and they eat agian

fifth time, egg was last to 2 day and they lay egg agian so there are 2 batch together, day 3 the first batch start changing to white, is that ready for free swim???
today is the third day and they eat both batch...............

i have seen a male eat the egg before, not the female.

so what is the cause of this????does anyone know.........

about my aquarium setup:
temp: 29c
ph: don't know yet...waiting for my ph controller
tank 5x2x2 i have divide in half.
first half only couple peppermint living with the pair.
second half other discus

the pair has been seperate from other discus

please help me out this trouble......

Thank you, regards
Steven

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 05:25 AM
If the eggs are turning white they are infertile andd will be attack4ed by fungus.

try caging the eggs so as they cant eat them, if they havn't hatched by day 3 you've proably got 2 females or a bad male.

Gone Fishing
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
ILLUSN
Advisor

What do you mean by "Cage Eggs?" :)

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:01 AM
get yourself some gutter guard, an hour after they have finished laying wrap the gutter guard into a cylinder and slide it over the spawning cone, that way they cant eat the eggs.

Gone Fishing
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:34 AM
Got ya Thanks

sportivo888
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:32 PM
seen like the male is eating the egg.........
so next time can i take him out after fertiliz the egg????

in this case can female grow the baby up by feeding from her???.......

my family have mention to me before that they saw the male keep kissing the egg then....later they all gone.....so i suspect the male is eating all the egg........

any advise?

regard

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:56 PM
you can give that a go if you like, mum shouldn't have too much trouble raising the bubs on her own, you might have to remove them from her sooner or she mightn't have any fins left.

sportivo888
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:53 AM
you can give that a go if you like, mum shouldn't have too much trouble raising the bubs on her own, you might have to remove them from her sooner or she mightn't have any fins left.

ok i will do that.....btw
is it safe for the baby even peppermint are living with it??
will the peppermint eat the eat at night time? i just guessing

size of pep are average 5-7cm

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:19 AM
Peps should be ok, but I'd still take them out.

sportivo888
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:23 AM
Thank illusn,

i will keep this update when they spawn agian :)

sportivo888
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:02 PM
Update........

They spawn again,

last night i have taking the male out, leave the female with the egg........but this morning all the egg gone.
i feed them alot tetrabit. they live in the community tank but i have split the tank into 3 already.....they still eat the egg.....

any advise?????

Cheer,
Steven

the german
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:43 PM
the pepps will eat the eggs when the light is off.
esp. when you have only one fish guarding the eggs.
you should try to cage the eggs maybe that will help.
sounds like you have a lot of trouble with mouldy eggs,maybe they are not fertilized or your water parameter are not right.

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:49 PM
Tetrabits are great for color enhancing fish, but you'll need to vary their diet for propper nutrition and better fertility.

sportivo888
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:14 AM
the pepps will eat the eggs when the light is off.
esp. when you have only one fish guarding the eggs.
you should try to cage the eggs maybe that will help.
sounds like you have a lot of trouble with mouldy eggs,maybe they are not fertilized or your water parameter are not right.

that a good idea....i will try that........next time

i have put the plastic divider already, but there are still a gap on both side...the pep are small....but i will try to seal the gap too......

at the moment the egg are layed on driftwood....i am thinking changing to cone....is it a better way???

with the water parameter, discus seen to be live in comfort so that they will lay the egg?? or there are other reason effecting the mood??

the german
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:15 AM
the cone is a good idea.
it helps alot when the ph is as low as posible like 5-5.5.

when you put a night light on your tank it will help as well,the pair will be guarding the eggs all night :wink:

sportivo888
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:26 AM
if i cage the egg....when they free swimming...will the parent eat them??

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:36 AM
No, once they get free swimming they'll find their way to the sides of the parents and they'll know what to do.

sportivo888
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:39 AM
i gonna do that........hope they can survive next time.....

the last spawn was 7 time already....and that are more then 100+ egg......i was so depress man.....

the german
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:52 AM
it will work one day :D

sportivo888
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 03:19 AM
thanks the german
thanks illusn

sportivo888
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 01:32 AM
update.........yesterday afternoon the pair had lay first batch egg....and i have put the net to protect the egg incase eaten by the male ........later at night...they lay another batch ...and the egg also get protected too.......so now.....if they free swim.....will the parent eat the baby???

because of the environment, they live in 1 5x2x2 tank.
i am worry what if the baby swim through the divider gap on the side that they gonna meet other kind of discus......i am worry will they be eaten by other adult discus?????

any advise??

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:10 AM
IMO they never do well in a divided tank, i tried so many spawns in a 4x18x20 divided up, and the little buggers just kept getting through and lost in the void, you'd have much better luck with an 80L from a shop, you can pick one up for around $40