PDA

View Full Version : Chance of In-Breeding?

Gone Fishing
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hi All,
I was going to set up my first breeder tank and was thinking of a senario. :? If my ONLY couple of Blue Diamond(F) and Pigeon Blood(M) are moved to our new breeder tank, and they are successful in raising fry to the 5-6cm stage, and are ready to move to the community tank of 50gal, will they be OK to couple up and breed themselves in the future or will it cause abnormalities from in-breeding? :roll:

I mean what do you do when everything works out and I have too many fish from breeding in the community tank?

Can I raise them at a small size and get rid of them later?

And who would take them? It would be a shame to have to dispose of them. :(

discuslover
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Gone Fishing,
I for one to love to get some of their young from you. I think the combination of blue diamond and pidgeon blood would be very interesting.

Cheers
Simon

albatrozz
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:35 AM
u could definitely sell them.. or give them away to your friends/relatives. But whatever you do, dont throw them away. That would be the biggest waste since discus have alot of potential... If u got no-one to give em away to then put an ad in the classifieds section on this forum, if its for free then all of them would guaranteed be gone within a week... anyways gl with the pair

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
as a responsible breeder it is your job to cull any reject fish. if you wouldn't buy them yourself DONT give them to someone else.

if poor quality fish keep breeding, it cheepens the breed as a whole and these fish deserve better then that.

Gone Fishing
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 09:20 AM
as a responsible breeder it is your job to cull any reject fish. if you wouldn't buy them yourself DONT give them to someone else.

if poor quality fish keep breeding, it cheepens the breed as a whole and these fish deserve better then that.Thanks for the heads up. Your definitely right on the mark . I can't stand being told over the phone we this breed and that breed... When I get there they look nothing like what I expect. Like my wife wanted a blue torquise, but I haven't seen one at 5-6cm before and I thought the ones I looked at looked more like red dragons or the like.

I know they can't be exactly the same but at least similar colours hey!