PDA

View Full Version : WTB: "Feature" Community Fish - Any Ideas?

insanedoh
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:13 PM
We're looking for 1-2 nice "feature" fish to add to my other half's 4 ft aquarium, which grow to a reasonable size (taking into account other fish in the tank!) We had sevrums previously, but they have since gone to fishy heaven (RIP!). We are after some non-plant eating/destroying fishies who are "peaceful" yet able to stand up for themselves! Something colorful/unusual would be nice :)

The tank is a 4ft South American, ph=7 with the following tankmates:
firemouth, blue acara, angel, syadontis, chocolate cichlid, hoplo, & lots of plecos & BNs & other catfish. plenty of rocks and wood in the tank and soon to be some plants! (which we would like to retain!)

We're happy to grow them from a reasonable size, and aren't looking at spending too many $$ ;)

Any ideas/suggestions/fs would be appreciated!

(we're in Melbourne, haven't freighted before so would prefer not to)

Thanks muchly!! :)

- Carly

rwel4809
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:35 PM
how about some Blue Rams - they are really colourful and have heaps of personality - I believe the german ones are best if you can get hold of some...

check out this link:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_German_Blue_Ram_Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi.php

insanedoh
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks rwel4809, definately agree, i love blue rams!! :)

I think we're after something a bit bigger this time though, So bigger than the firemouth/chocolate so maybe ~20cm or more in length

Merrilyn
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
I've got some rivulatis fry that you are welcome to. These guys are breeding machines. If you can grow them out and retain just one male, he would make a lovely addition to your tank.

Wouldn't suggest a pair, or they will harrass your other fish, but one male would be stunning.

insanedoh
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, that sounds good! Was also suggested from someone else to get Green Terrors as well! (rivulatis are green terrors right?)

How big are the fry? Should I be "growing" them in my discus tank until they're large enough to not be eaten by firemouth/acara etc? or are they big enough to go straight in? I have some "floating fry" containers if that's what's needed? :)

Our sevrums used to breed and harass the entire tank, so know what that's like!! ;) fry only even lasted a few days at most! (swimming). Was quite funny after they sevrums died the firemouth assumed control and took over harassing fish.. hehe then the syadontis told it who REALLY was boss! (syadontis is usually very quiet, but apparently still likes to assume the top of the pecking order!)

Where abouts in Melbourne are you & how much did you want for them? :)

Thanks again, much appreciated,

- Carly

Jet
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:58 AM
hi Carly,
its Dave here, um i was going to suggest angels but then i saw you already got some. How about some Geos/horsefaces?

I reckon they would look pretty spectacular, they aren't too bad price wise about $25 ea for the regular/common strains, peaceful, colorful, friendly, and affordable.

David

taksan
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:04 PM
A Nice wild oscar ?

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:57 AM
Carly the fry are young, hatched Christmas Day, so a fry saver sounds the ideal.

Mate you are welcome to a dozen of them free of charge. You just need to come pick them up from Richmond.

I'll PM you my mobile number.

This is dad aka Hulk :D

skyedge
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:47 AM
I would suggest some H Nicaraguensis, the female is very colorful. I have heaps of fry which you can have for free, unfortunately I am in Sydney.

Would the green terror cross bred with the blue acara?

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:58 AM
Mez, that one GREAT looking fish!

how long did it take you to get him to thats size?

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 05:11 AM
Jothy, I bought them in December off a guy who was moving. Hulk was already an adult who had killed his first mate, and was with his new girlfriend Honey, who is less than half his size.

The pair spawned within a week of being in my tank. The fry are still in with them and they look ready to spawn again.

Tough as nails these guys. Still around 200 fry all thriving.

insanedoh
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

Thanks Merrilyn, sounds like a good challenge! I'll get the fry saver ready.. hehehe Hulk is definately an impressive fish! What's your food of choice for the fry? I have a single killi fish baby at the moment, feeding finely crushed flake, seems to work out ok! I just remove all the excess out of the fry saver with some tweezers ;) (got one other baby a kribensis, it's actually got big enough to put in the 4ft with the discus, so far hasn't been eaten!! (and there's a black ghost knife in there, haven't seen him eat any of the little fishies actually!)

Didn't get your pm, but send me another one, where abouts in Richmond are you? I usually work in the city a couple of days a week so it's on my way home, i'll be back in there next tues/wed so let me know if that will suit you (prob ~5-6pm or whenever is good for you?)

Thanks, taksan: I think though Oscar may be a bit aggressive and plant pulling for our needs at the moment! (right?! - i've never had one before, but from what i've read!) :)

Dave, Thanks i'll have a look into the geo/horsefaces that sounds good too! Might take a trip to the LFS and see what they've got, there's usually some around :) Hopefully no cross breeding! Not sure if our acara is male or female, beautiful fish though, my favorite in the tank! i'd love to put one in with my discus, but I really don't think that work work out too well! (for the discus!)

Thanks skyedge, but yes unfortunately we are miileeeeeeeeeeeees away!!! (all the fish always seem to be in sydney and brisbane!!!!)

I did a bit of "research" into flowerhorns, they look pretty k00l, but I don't think they're for me either.. much too aggressive & plant digging! ;(

eep.. puppy is barking.. gotta go "attend" hehehe.. Thanks again everyone, appreciate the suggestions & Offers it's really helping! :)

insanedoh
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 09:17 PM
ok.. doggy fed! ;)

here's the future home anyhows:

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:48 AM
Your tank looks perfect. Hulk Jnr will be very happy in there.

PM sent.

Namn8r
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 07:35 AM
What about a nice red head geo!

Top_Bhoy
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
I don't know availability but what about Mesonauta festivus ie Festive cichlid.You don't have small stuff like neons so you should be OK.

syxx
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
Ahh great to see hulk is doing well, when i saw the picture i thought it was him :) he should certainly throw some good prodigy.
i have some parrot cichlids 6-10cm they are the natural type and will have amazing colours, if your interested they are a great fish and you can have them for $10-$15each

syxx_6_6@hotmail.com

insanedoh
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:20 AM
Wow, so many replies again! Thanks!!

Well in the meantime, i've been to the LFS and picked up 1x red horse face, 1x red hump and 1x Balzani (apparently, but I can't match it up to any pics online?) - It looks just like a Bolivian butterfly but a bit bigger (not huge, but bigger than any butterfly that i've seen!) any ideas? (pics below) - i'd like to get some more info on it, as assured in the shop that it's a fairly peacful fish, and definately seems to be!)

So Namn8r if red horse face & hump are what you meant by red head, that's what i've got.. hehehe ;) So far they're fairly peacefull, the hump is chasing the other fish around here and there but nothing harmful.

Thanks Top_Bhoy will keep festivus in mind as well, haven't had them before.

So with these and the green terror to be (thanks Merrilyn i'll call/sms you, probably pick up Tuesday if that's ok? I'll be there before close time(~4:30) :) will it be too many to also add one of the parrots? (thanks syxx, really nice looking fish! If it fits in the tank i'll happily grab one! Where abouts in Melbourne are you?) By natural you mean not the "hybrid" science experiment ones? ;) I read a little bit about it, bit confusing!

Here's some pics of the new guys:

insanedoh
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone, I think we're well stocked now! hehe

Thanks Merrilyn for the fry, so far so good! Nearly lost one on a suicide mission! It jumped into the main part of the tank and I had to save it from the monstorous jaws of the firemouth! I've got a lid on the fry enclosure now ;)

Thanks syxx for the parrot, settling in quite nicely! (& SAE also! Getting to work!!)

& Thanks Illusn for the plants! Makes a big difference to the "scape" hehe :)

Here's some pics :)

insanedoh
Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:49 PM
last pic :)

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:01 AM
looking good Carly, you know those swords grow to 30cm++ right?

insanedoh
Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks! Hoping so! hehehehe, will move some of them backwards a bit when they get a bit bigger :) need to move some of the rocks and lower stuff forwards then.