PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - LIQUID FLAGYL/METRO - dont mix in water

OZFISH
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Everyone

I have recently been through some HEX experiences with Flagyl S Suspension in a liquid form. I was prescribed the liquid form by a vet and even at 1/2 the prescribed dose all the discus treated in the hospital tank died within a few hours. Even after doing several water changes after 1 hour when they started going sideways they still ended up dead.

I have since treated other discus in the same hospital tank with Flagyl / Metro tablets at 25mg/litre and all 4 treated discus recovered and are now eating and very healthy after a treatment every 2 days for three treatments.

I did some research and as suggested by Samir in another post found that the liquid has glucose(sugar) in it which effectively gets into teh fishes gills and sufficates them as well as sucking the oxygen out of the water. The vet admited they had made a mistake and supplied me with the tablet form which has worked great.

I know some people have used the liquid to mix with food without any ill effect but be warned not to mix liquid fragyl into the water. I hope this stops others making the same mistake and losing some nice discus.