PDA

View Full Version : Heater Query..

Tracey73
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:20 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is correct for a heater to go up and down by points of a degree? I set my heater to 29C and it seems to jump around from 27 through to 28.8, one minute it says one thing then it says another... I have a digital thermometer and I have even put in another two thermometers on different occasions just to make sure that the digital thermometer is accurate. Can anyone shed any light??

discuslover
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:28 AM
I take it you mean for the tank water to flucuate in temp. This will happen with ambient temperture of the day, In my experience the only major flucuations are on a extremely hot or cold day and the changes are over a long time period. If your water is change in these temps over a short period i would maybe look at possible faults with your heater.

Hope this helps
Simon

Tracey73
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
Yes that is exactly what I mean, the water temp :wink: I decided that I was not happy with that heater, just seems to fluxuate too much so I went and bought a Jager heater today :) Hope this one is more stable!

Mr Discus
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:02 AM
You should have no problems with a Jager at all - pretty well the best conventional aquarium heater you can buy.

I run a titanium heater with a digital control unit that is under my cabinet. So at the flick of a switch I can see what i have the heater set at, and then what the actual aquarium water temp is. I also run a digital thermometer so that I always have a second opinion on what the temp is - always a good idea.

Hassles
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hey. Mr Discus

where you get your Titanium heater from ? I thought Schego were the only one manufacturing Titanium heaters and they don't export to here (Australia).

Hey, Tracey 73

I had similar problems as you with a new Eheim Jager heater. It just needed a re-calibration to make it trouble-free. Calibration directions were specified in the booklet.