PDA

View Full Version : My own F1 VS German A. Elizabethe

awth
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 03:35 AM
My own F1 VS German A. Elizabethe, which one you like better?? :)

My own F1
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/awth_hk/A%20Elizabethae/F1-20080118006.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/awth_hk/A%20Elizabethae/F1-20080118009.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/awth_hk/A%20Elizabethae/F1-20080118002.jpg

German A. Elizabethe
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/awth_hk/A%20Elizabethae/00220080118007-11.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/awth_hk/A%20Elizabethae/00220080118006-11.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/awth_hk/A%20Elizabethae/00220080118004-11.jpg

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 04:23 AM
the germans got slightly more body color, but its proably the lighting.

Yours are still top quality fish.

i saw fish like yours in a shop I'd be handing over cash for them!!

fishgeek
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:21 AM
you win on finnnage they win on colour

what do you feed , i found that i got better colour with more algae eaters(daphnia and cyclops) whether this was adding carotene's(building blocks for pigment)
at the same time these fish were in tanks that recieved direct sunlight which i think one of the older german breeders claimed added colour.. not sure how? more algae in diet? vit D? or is that just a mammalian thing?

great fish none the less and i have never managed to breed so congratulations on that aswell

andrew

Th0mas
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:15 PM
Both are very nice.

Wish I can get a good clear photo of mine (new ones), hopefully they'll settle in soon.

awth
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:20 AM
Thank you, ILLUSN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew:
I feed the followings:
Dried food: Tropical Supervit Granulat / Spirulina Granulat / ADA AP3-Gold / Taiwanese Brand which IMO it is consider best for colour enhancement dried food I ever use.
Frozen food: Blood worm pre-UV treated, but I sterilize them again before use. BBS. Home-made fish food.
Others: Calcium tablet, ADA Vitamin.

Regarding the finnage, I believe the tank height does most of the work, but it is only 8.5"L 14"W 14"H.

Andrew, thur Mike, he suggested me to ask you if you can recommend me some Fish Disease books?? Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas: I highly recommend, Canon 400D or 40D kit set, 100mm Marco lens, EX580II flash.

Th0mas
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thomas: I highly recommend, Canon 400D or 40D kit set, 100mm Marco lens, EX580II flash.

Thanks for the suggestion - highly tempting....... just need a good excuse to get the budget approval.

Anyway, got a call from a LFS last week and they said there's a good pair of German elizabethae. So I went, looked (and opened my wallet) and took them home.

Although they're not as nice as your ones, but much better than ones we had in the past. This pair is still very young and will develop further (fingers crossed).

As this is an unexpected buy, I only managed to toss them in the the German ram tank (they had to be relocated elsewhere for them - sorry). Last night I've just finished planning on how to shuffle the tanks and setup a new tank for them (with better lighting and ADA soil) and went on to get the place sorted today. While at the end of the shuffling - the pair has spawned in the ram tank :? - now I cannot move them.

Attached are a few pics taken today after the spawn, these are taken with an ordinary digital camera at low light condition (no flash) hence it's no where as good looking as yours.

fishgeek
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:15 PM
good one thomas
looks like some bright red on them
it's great how they like a change and do those things when we are not ready

health books for fish?
what are you wanting?
dieter unntergasse has some nice (to follow) diagnostic flow charts...treatments maybe out of date

i use my bsava book most , is damned expensive though , manual of ornamental fish second edition - covers much

basselers newest book is suppossed to be good, i have not seen

personally much of the information is available on the net, just have to shift through the rumour and damned misinformation, still often there

awth
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 03:15 PM
Thomas: i instinctly fall in love with your female there!!!

Thank you, Andrew.

Rod
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 05:56 AM
Very nice fish awth!!

Hey Thomas......I'd bet if you showed your male a mirror he would flare up as nicely

I've found most Apisto's are like fighting fish and will flare at their reflection....defending their territory...just as awth's are doing!

Noddy65
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Thomas
Im in Sydney in 3 weeks.
Bringing some baenschi and pebas with me.
Tanks setup in about 8 weeks.
Looking for some apistos in about 9 weeks.
What stores should I be making friends with :D

Mike

Th0mas
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the apisto friendly LFS are all in the Eastern Surburbs. There are two who regularly brings them in (probably a shipment every month or two - believe me, that's regular for apisto) one in Matraville and the other in Bondi Jn. (let me know if you need their name as these are non-sponsors).

Will catch up with you in person soon.

Cheers,
Thomas.

Th0mas
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thomas: i instinctly fall in love with your female there!!!

Thank you, Andrew.

Thanks - she's quite special.....

However I got a problem today - I cannot locate her. She was there this morning and the rest of the day she cannot be located in the tank. Not in the cave.... hopefully she's hiding from me - fingers crossed.

PS: She's not on the floor.

Th0mas
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:23 PM
Phew - found her. She got a bit too curious and got herself inside a loop of the stocking (I use for peat).

Luckily I got concern and start poking around with my hand. Now she's released and gone back with her mate.

In her absent, the male regularly check inside the pot (hopefully cleaning the egg). He swim in, then back out on his own business (have checked - eggs are still there and they're bright red).

awth
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:28 AM
Congradualtion on both!!! Blue told me that his pair bred too..... I am a bit behind now, but it happens all the timessss.... I am just used to it! :P

".....In her absent, the male regularly check inside the pot (hopefully cleaning the egg). He swim in, then back out on his own business ......"

I am actually imagining what he was doing! hahahaha

Th0mas
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:59 PM
Congradualtion on both!!! Blue told me that his pair bred too..... I am a bit behind now, but it happens all the timessss.... I am just used to it! :P

".....In her absent, the male regularly check inside the pot (hopefully cleaning the egg). He swim in, then back out on his own business ......"

I am actually imagining what he was doing! hahahaha

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll get around to it soon.

Well the female has got a slight damage to her tail, but I was relief when I saw her back to her role this morning (in the cave) and eggs are still there.

This afternoon, eggs are starting to fall down - this usually is a sign of hatching (this happens with some of my baenschi in the past). Fingers crossed.

There are still some numbers of eggs on the roof - despite the pair is still very young, they've produced a reasonable spawn (my guess would be around 50 eggs).

Here's a couple of updates (please excuse the quality of the shots).

PS: The male was swimming around to the entrance of the cave, have a peek inside then off again when the female was trapped in the stocking. He was doing this every 10 minutes, very interesting to watch.

Th0mas
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 03:02 AM
Eggs has just starting to hatch - photo taken not long ago and there are 6 so far.

Mum keeps on moving them around, so difficult to take a nice clear shot of them. Once the focus is set correct, she has started to move them again :?

This is the best I could do in recording their hatching.