PDA

View Full Version : Tank Stock Recommendations

LiberalFishLover
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 04:58 PM
Hi
I am setting up a 46 gal tank (175 liters) and want peoples opinions on stock the tank with the following fish

4 nannostomus trifasciatus (pencil fish)
2 dwarf cichlids
1 chinese algae eater
10 rummy nose tetras
2 or maybe 3 discus (to be added at a later date, probably three months after the tank has been up and running)

I'm trying to find out whether I am overstocking the tank or whether I will have serious compatability problems with this selection of fish.
Thanks
Colm

Trebs
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 11:28 PM
It's not a great idea to keep discus in groups of less than 6. As each adult discus will need 10gal a 55gal would be the minimum tank size. If you want a discus tank with community fish I strongly recommend getting a 75gal or up.

If the space/money just isn't there to do it well it's better to wait until it is. Maybe look at more dawarf cichlids for a tank that size?

jim
Mon Nov 29, 2004, 12:03 AM
I have tried to keep small group (around 4) in small tank before....they will alway fight for space...especially came to feeding time

jim
Mon Nov 29, 2004, 12:03 AM
maybe u can try to keep a pair of discus

kevkoi
Mon Nov 29, 2004, 03:01 AM
I'd say, ditch the "Chinese slime-coat eater"! Nasty little fish. Get some whiptails, or some dwarf pleco type fish for your algae cleaning. Considering you are in NY, I would recommend bulldog/rubbernose plecos. SUPERB algae eaters... (If only they were cheaper in Aust, I'd be recommending them more often. ;) )

LiberalFishLover
Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:57 PM
Whats so bad about Chinese algae eaters?

lood83
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:33 AM
They clean good.....so good that they clean your Discus too....which is not good :D