PDA

View Full Version : stress bars

djceri_g
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 09:03 PM
Im back again with another question! Why do discus show stress bars? my two pidgeons have just stared to show theirs, does it mean they are stressed? :roll:

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
T here are several reasons. thay can do it for camoflage, as a signal to other discus, as a result of stress, in preperation for spawning, if they are still active and lively, holding their fins high then there is no reason to worry.

djceri_g
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:10 AM
they are very active! When I first bought the fish, I bought 6 of them and they all paired up the moment i put them in the tank!! all 3 pairs where spawning! but unfortunately I lost one and ever since they have gone their own way and havent seen a single spawn since! but the way these two pidgeons looks, with their stress bars showing, they might pair up. They are always together but the boggest one seems to peck everything that comes his way when feeding!!

Greggy
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:18 PM
I agree with ILLUSN (again)... My Discus display 'stress bars' when excited, like when they see me comming with some nice frozen fish food!

I really don't think these bars should be called 'stress bars' as like ILLUSN says, they do not always mean a negative situation. A better indication of how Discus are feeling is how they hold their fins. If they clamp them tight against the bosy (for long periods) it is a sign that something is wrong. However if they are spread out and held high it usually means they are feeling just fine.

Regards,

Greggy

djceri_g
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
yes, its a silly name isnt it! Their finns are fine, not clamp, only sometimes when a certain one is looking for trouble!! or hogging the food! and aswell, do discus flicker their bottom long finns when they are unhappy or only when they have an illness? sory for all the question

ILLUSN
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:45 PM
the flicking can be in responce to an irritant or parracite, it can also be the begining of spawning activity.