PDA

View Full Version : heckle not eating

gypsy3
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 04:38 AM
hi all...one of my heckels won't eat, no matter what. He wasn't looking at all well, so i q/t'd him and put him thru the medication cycle - metro, prazi, levamisole - as recommended. He didn't eat the entire time he was in the q/t tank as far as i can tell, although he looked much better after treatment, color wise etc. I put him back in the community tank as i saw no point in putting him thru a second lot of treatment, hoping he might start eating around other fish, but no go. ireckon he hasn't eaten for at least 3-4 weeks and he's looking very skinny.have tried all kinds of food, including live stuff, but he just won't eat. Anyone have any idea what else i can try?

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 06:14 AM
once they go off their food they are hard to get back onto it, try lights off for a full 24hrs, and try feeding 4x in that period, your best bet would be live brine shrimp, try to load them up with spirolina powder before you feed, failing that try mozzie wrigglers and live worms with beefheart mix (a little extra garlic in the beefheart). first feed the beefheart then add the worms so as they are crawling on and in the beefheart, that way the fish will have to eat both. this is best done in a bare bottom hospital tank.

samir
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 08:31 AM
how long did you treat with metro,what dose ? ph ? temp of tank ?

JoeDiscus85
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 11:13 AM
i agree with illusn. Im going through the exact same thing my cobalt is sick as a dog.He wont eat at all unless i use garlic extreme from kent marine in the water first i put 4 drops in the water and he will eat but if the garlic isnt present he wont touch any bit of food at all.. Good luck man

Joe

gypsy3
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 01:29 PM
gave him 3 doses of metro,2 days apart with 50% w/c, about 400mg/10l, ph was about 6, temp was 32, all other parameters were good.the gave him 2 lots of prazi, then levamisole. He seemed to come good as far as looks go, colour came back well, bars etc, just wouldn't and still won't eat.Tried garlic enhanced food tonite, still no good.Even now at times he colors up well, but is extremely skinny now.Looks like he's on his way out.

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
sorry to hear that mate, all i can sugest is the live food, if he wont eat that, there isn't much you can do.