PDA

View Full Version : White discolour on skin

Matt15
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:07 AM
Well after having discus for just over a year now I have my first problem... and it comes 30 minutes before I have to go to work (8pm to 4am isn't a fun shift at all :( ).

There seems to be a white fungus growing on the outter skin. Either that or the natural slim coat is falling away. Why? I have no idea and don't have time till tomorrow to browse for answers.
This turq is one of my first and I'd hate to loose her. If anybody has any ideas (ILLUSN..... :D ) please let me know.

I'll post tank settings tomorrow when I have time to test. All the other discus are fine and not showing any signs of this white stuff. Only changes in the past few days have been a couple of new plants. She is still eating and i've just thrown her into a quarantine tank.

Cheers Matt

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
fins clamped up is a bad sign, shes still eating which is good, when you get back from work test your water and put up what you find (We'll need ph NH3, NO2 NO3 and temp) give her a water change add a bit of salt.

looks like physical damage from the photos, plus a bit of burn on tail, so id be thiking ammonia and shes bashing herself in the dark.

if your sure its a fungus, use protozin as per dirctions on the bottle its very mild and wont do her any harm.

let me know how your water is.

the german
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:46 PM
physical damage for sure.clamped fins can come from puting her in the Q tank.
maybe you get some external parasite with your plants.
try salt,should work,1gr/l

JoeDiscus85
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:33 PM
do you have pimafix readily available?How about melafix? I have had a little bit of problems with fungus due to fin nipping and bad water conditions, Id add melafix after a 50% water change and it all the fungus would clear up just my limited experience with this

scott bowler
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 12:43 AM
im with illusn im thinking ammonia too have a look at that and do some water changes , let us know if you have a ammonia reading

Matt15
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 04:17 AM
Thx for the replies guys.... i'm just woken up to find its kinda all gone which is strange.

Just did a water test of the community tank. (All the other fish are fine. I had my wife message me each time she got up to feed our daughter.... she's only 3 months.)

No2 - 10
No3 - 0
GH - <3°d
KH - 0°d
PH - 6.4
NH3 - 0.0-0.2

Readings look fine to me.

I can account for the battle scars which were caused from the net when I moved her... I was kinda in a rush. Thats proberly also why her fins were clamped.
But the white, kinda fungus thing is gone. I've posted a new pick and also the original with it circled. For the time being i'll leave her in the q tank till tomorrow. She's also eating fine.

Thx again guys....:)

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 04:45 AM
thats just excess slime, usually caused by stress, or a sudden ph change.

tail and fins look much better in that pic, if your no3 is 0 and you have trace ammonia your over feeding, try and remove whats not eaten after about 20min

Matt15
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
Thx for the quick reply mate. I've also received some advice from Scott Bowler.. thx mate.

I feed the brine shrimp and blood worms via the cones, however the beef heart mix doesn't fit through the little holes so I just throw it into the tank. The fish are at it as soon as it hits the water however it is pretty messy and small particles of this often float around the tank and into the filter.

Any ideas for feeding food which disolves into small particles? maybe in smaller quantities?

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 06:24 AM
could be excess beefheart if it getting sucked up and rots in your filter, solution is to give your filter media a quick rinse with tank water every month.

djceri_g
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
I feed beefheart from my hands, less messy and a nice experience! and I must say, your fish is stunning!

Matt15
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm pleased to report that she is doing very well now. I placed her back into the community tank last night and this morning she's back to bullying/eating/swimming around like her normal self.

I have some concerns about how/what the white stuff was but for now the is no evidence of it effecting her or the tank.

Thanks again for all the advice/info guys....... :D

ILLUSN
I'll give the filter a rinse more often.

djceri_g
I can feed by hand but its just too time consuming to do everyday. I think this youtube vid enspired me which i'm sure you've seen before. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfRwO6h4j0[/url]

samir
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think this youtube vid enspired me which i'm sure you've seen before. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfRwO6h4j0[/url]

you're easily inspired :lol: :lol: LOL