locksmith999
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 05:48 AM
goodluck been tryin on here for months they are hard to find good size females
let us know how ya go!
i have 6 boys 12 cms+

Hassles
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
My "sincere" advice to you both is to purchase a good hand-ful of juveniles
and grow them up. You're sure to find yourselves a female. All you'll need to do then is feed them well until they're at a sexable size. Oh, and of course if you take this route you'll also need to be patient but thats what breeding is all about eh' ?

I have Peppermint & Orange Spot pairs and occasionally purchase juveniles from other sources and grow them up to keep the blood lines clean. A recent OS acquisition has had a near frightening growth spurt of late so if you give 'em a good home and a equally good diet they'll grow pretty quick.

I don't know what happens in the wild eg: if brother breeds with sister, but I prefer to acquire juveniles from different sources, grow them up and then house the males from one source with the females from the other.

Again, if you're patient enough you'll find Peppermint juveniles for sale without having to wait too long - been there.

Firestorm
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Always in Victoria!!, here I am with 9 big girls and no (large) males. Crazy I tell ya!

Mak
Sat Jan 19, 2008, 06:29 AM
I've been trying for a couple of months now. It's actually for a friend.

I'm thinking of getting a pair from Sydney for $350 and just sell the male off.

Ahh well, i'll see what happens.

Proteus
Sat Jan 26, 2008, 05:09 AM
I have just listed a group of 12 x Peppermints on www.aquaauctions.com.au

Only selling as a group of 12 as I have quite a few that I want to sell.

I am also considering selling my main breeding colony (3M-2F) that produce around 50-60 fry every couple of months, however the offer would need to be right.