PDA

View Full Version : Fish capacity

Rgoganj
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 03:56 AM
Just a simple question regarding capacity of fish to tank

I have a four foot tank and was wondering what is the max capacity of fish.

I’ve read about 48” of fish for the four foot tank. (1” of fish to 12” of surface area)

I’m asking as currently my dissolved oxygen readings are low.
(3.5 in the morning to 6-7 in the evening)

Thanks

Trebs
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 05:28 AM
What is the height and width?
A standard 4ft is 48 x 14 x 20inches, which is 55gal.

10gal per adult discus = 6 adult discus, slightly overstocked.

IMO that is your limit.

Using formula to work out how many inches of fish you can have doesn't work very well as different fish have different shapes.

Rgoganj
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks Trebs

Size is 48 x 14 x 18:

Tank is also planted.

Trebs
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 07:23 AM
Planting the tank will eat up a bit of the water volume. Just be aware you'll need to do regular water changes with the above fish load. Exactly how much will depend on how much you feed and your water conditions out of the tap. About 25% at least 3 times a week should give you an idea on where to start. Other forum members will have different options on this I'm sure.

jim
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 07:39 AM
OPS..... I have 13 discus in my 4 ft tank....guess i am way over stock...
the only problem I have is fish poo everywhere...
But I have a very good Eheim canister filter and an internal filter...my fishes seems ok

chris_d
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:35 PM
wow 13 ...geez how many wkly water changes do you have to do to get on top of things???

jim
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 10:30 PM
I only do water change twice a week...36 ltr each time....they poo a lot after each feed..but fish poos dispear very quickly..guess I have planty of good bateria in my tank... :-).
They all seems healthy and happy...guess I am very lucky...
I have to put blame on SLS....I can not help myself as they have too many nice fish there...