PDA

View Full Version : when to move

boydie
Sun Jan 13, 2008, 05:26 AM
hey all,what time of day is most apropriot to move a pair of fish into a new tank.to reduce stress levels?
im thinking morning but i would like to know your thoughts.
cheers boydie.

dwilder
Sun Jan 13, 2008, 05:36 AM
at night when the fish are in sleep mode

Robdog
Sun Jan 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
Morning is a good idea I reckon as it gives you the chance to monitor them during the day and adjust parameters if needed.
But I can see the merrit in a night time relo too.

samir
Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:04 AM
at night when the fish are in sleep mode

if you move them when they are half asleep there is a very good chance of them darting and damaging themselves.

generally if you turn on the lights when they are asleep its a good idea not to make any sudden movements till they wake up, and it doesn't get more sudden than trying to catch them. :shock:

dwilder
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:54 AM
samir is right you dont want to move the fish when there asleep.i didn't explain myself correctly.what i meant to say if your moving fish into a tank with other fish in it already the dominant fish in the tank wont be as likely to bother the new fish if the lights are off and they're starting to calm down and go into sleep mode.the fish your moving you want them wide awake so that they don't get spooked

dwilder
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:58 AM
and if you meant a breeding pair to their own tank then any time during the day is fine

the german
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:58 AM
i would move an hour after you turn on the lights abd before you feed.
then give them two hours in the new tank(with the same water parameters) and then try to feed them.

works for me

boydie
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
moved them 3 days ago and all good.
at about 4pm.the only time i had.but YES i would have prefered to do it in the morning.
cheers boydie