PDA

View Full Version : Tank rebuild - what to plan for

duckeo
Fri Jan 11, 2008, 08:48 AM
I'm planning a rebuild of a ~280L 4ft tank, the new tank will be primarily a discus tank as I've become addicted to these guys :)

It's currently got 2x 2213 Eheim Classics, but I'm looking to change one of these to a 2217 for the additional flow rate - however looking into this, and since I will be tearing it down, would I be better off building a sump?

My aims are ease of water change and good filtration (mechanical and biological) for the water. The more 'built-in' type features the better, how well does a Sump work for Discus?

The tank will be planted, and likely with undergravel heating if I can find enough justification for it.

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
a good sump is ALWAYS going to have more filtration capacity then a canister, a good way to go is to build a sump and use your existing canisters as a return pump, fill them with eheim substrate pro or some other sintered glass media and your away, you'll have your sump for more capacity, massive easy to clean mechanical and biological filtration, heaters, water changes etc, and with your 2 eheims filled with just bio media and no mech media they will only require annual cleaning, if that.

A sump will give you better filtration for your discus