PDA

View Full Version : discus all at surface

metalman
Thu Jan 10, 2008, 08:54 PM
I got up this mornig, and all 14 of my discus were floating on top breathing out of the air, I did a large waterchange yesterday, I didnt put the surface skimmer on though, there seemed to be an oil slick this morning so I put that back on, Please, I need help with this one urgently.

metalman
Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:03 PM
The fish in my pic has no control, it is swiming upside down and sidways. I am really worried.

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:33 PM
something inn the water is getting to them, test your tap water for ammonia, if thats clear, ring your water dept and ask whats being added to the tap water at them moment, if its the same as always give a big change and use a double dose of prime or some other water conditioner that locks up heavy metals.

add HEAPS pf airation to the tank, 1-2 tsp of salt/40L of tank volume.

if possible put up your current water parameters and give us a quick rundown of whats in your tank (fish species, number) and what equiptment your using.

metalman
Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
No ammonia, I have 14 discus 20 neons, and a sailfin pleco, 1250 liter tank, 2 JHW-303B canister filters, Tank been running about 3 months, I had already treated them with epson salts befor I read your post. I am looking into the council water site, Its still to early to ring them. Thanks for your speedy responce mate, I am really shitting bricks here.

boost.puppy
Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm, so sorry to hear about your fish, having one discus sick would be heartbreaking, so I can't imagine what your going through...

I asked around the office (I work for the Sydney catchment authority) and they have said in Brisbane you have to ask your local council (things work differently up there) I wish you the best of luck with their recovery!

Matt15
Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:20 PM
Metalman i've got a breeding tank setup and running atm, if worst comes to worst your welcome to put a few in there to save them.
I've lost my entire tank before to Brisbanes s*** water mate so now I use 100% rain water.

I'm in Chermside mob 0410504155.

GL

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
Have you got airstones running in the tank?

If not, add two now, and let them go flat out for a while.

The other thought that comes to mind, is did you add plenty of chlorine remover to the water when you did a water change? It almost sounds like chlorine poisoning.

metalman
Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
Firstly thank you to everyone who has offered help and advice, Thankfully, all my fish bar one is back to full health and eating. It was chlorine. I think because of all the rain we have had the water is way out to what it usually is. I did use plenty of chlorine and clorimine remover, as well as easylife water conditioner, and it still had chlorine in it. I dosed the whole tank with chlorine remover, I noticed a difference in the fish in 15 minutes. I still have one that cannot swim upright, it is sitting on the bottom. I am confesent that he will pull through though.
Thanks guys, Illusion ur a legend you gave me the solution within 30 minutes of me posting the problem. Me and my fish owe you one.

gypsy3
Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
just a question - is it possible to overdose with prime? say in an emergency like this, could you just whack a whole lot of prime into the water without fear of harm to the fish?

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 12, 2008, 02:52 AM
prime is safe at up to a 5x dose, this is the dose you use to detoxify no3, at that dose the fish dont like it, but they like brown blood disease even less, i wouldn't go over a 3x dose.

Matt15
Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:41 AM
Thats great news metalman. Fingers crossed for the last one mate...X