PDA

View Full Version : Bullying

Gribbs01
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:35 AM
I have a problem with one of my discus being bullyed. The tank is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft, i have 4 discus ranging in size from 8 cm to 12cm, they have been together for 4 months with no problems and growing in size but in the last week the largest discus is forcing the smallest into the plants and he/she will not come out, not even for feeding. The other fish are 20 neon tetras and 8 rummy tetras. I was thinking of getting two additional discus, would this help or make things worse?? Should I remove either of them??

Thanks

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 05:01 AM
Getting more discus will help spread the agro and give to other fish a chance to eat.

Barry N
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 05:13 AM
Yes, more discus the better. When first set up, I originally had only 4 in my 4x2x2, and it was getting a bit rough. I've now got 9 in that tank and everyone is happy. Unless I've got 2 pairs breeding at the same time - then the others are all forced into the middle of the tank by the breeding pairs. :lol:

I've found 5 discus and upwards to be the minimum number.

Matt15
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 07:02 AM
The more Discus the merrier..... but the bulling is just a part of gods pecking order :lol: It will still continue even after adding more fish. As ILLUSN has said more helps to spead the attention.

SusieQ
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi...
I guess we were all in the same boat at one time or another.
I have a 4x2x2 also. I started with 4 semi adults in a lightly planted with driftwood and anubas. As the fish got used to the tank setup the pecking order/bulling thing began and one fish was having a hard time. Also a pair formed and the other two were relegated to the one side of the tank. I've since added 4 more and now everone is happier. They use all areas of the tank and althought they still joust for position, there is no one fish that is the object of the others bullying. Get some more and you'll love the new interaction... much more natural.. HTH Sue

sponge2
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:31 PM
Always found adding fish makes a large change or if not small move round eg breeding cone or rocks .

Gribbs01
Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will go out today to get some more discus :D .