PDA

View Full Version : Guppy and Discus

JJ1
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 10:43 AM
We have had our discus about 3 months with a few guppies.The female guppy has had 2 baby drops and the discus haven't eaten any of them as far as we can tell. They all seem very happy together. The guppies take the top of the tank and the discus the bottom. No-one seems to recommend guppies with discus though so we were wondering if it is ok to keep them together.... they look so lovely and they tend to keep to their own species!

iro11a
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 10:52 AM
I wouldt see a problem with them together so long as the discus dont see them as food!

Mr Discus
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 10:56 AM
If you have been keeping them together for this long I am sure they will be fine.

If there was an issue you would have noticed it by now.

the german
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:10 PM
i don't know if thats good,whats your temp? i guess 27-28?
to low you have to have 30 and i don't think guppies like that.
with the time your discus will suffer from low temps

dntx5b9
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 01:08 PM
I was just about to say. I keep my tank at 84F to 86F sometimes little bit lower or higher depending on the ambient temp. I would love to add guppies to my tank, but they keep dying. I don't think guppies do well at temps that high. But not going to lower the temp for guppies for sure.

JJ1
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:28 PM
Our temperature is at 29 degrees. Is that going to harm the guppies?
Thanks

Matt15
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 10:06 PM
The ideal temp for guppies is usually between 22-25 °C, however they can certainly survive between 18-28 °C.

I keep Panda corys with my discus and on another forum I was always told that Panda CAN NOT survive the higher temps.
If there is anything we can learn about evolution its that all animals learn to adapt.
JJ1 as the saying goes... "If its not broken, don't fix it" so if its working for you mate...... then leave'em be...;)

arjones
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 10:25 PM
I have to agree with matt. I also keep panda corys with my discus and they are doing fine but even my discus can cope well with change, i have a higher ph than most ppl and my discus are more than happy they have grown larger and coloured up beautifully. My temperature also used to drop a couple of degrees at night in the winter months but my discus seemed to cope fine with this change. I have added an extra heater now so this problem no longer occurs but still its just another example of how so called delicate fish are stronger than ppl give them credit for. ne way ive strayed from the question, if ur guppies seem happy and healthy I wouldn't worry about it although I have been told that if fish are kept at a higher temp then they are used to it can speed up their metabolic rate and therefore reduce their lifespan

vyberman
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 04:20 PM
Dont guppies prefer hard alkaline water?

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
I had guppies in with my 6ft until last week - sold them to make room for the next project.

They seemed to go fine, although technically they shouldn't have done so well with the high temps. But they bred (discus ate some fry) & were if anything aggressive with the food, but small enough that the discus didn't seem to notice them.

I say go for it. It seems to be working so far, right?

cityguy
Sun May 25, 2008, 05:39 PM
We have had our discus about 3 months with a few guppies.The female guppy has had 2 baby drops and the discus haven't eaten any of them as far as we can tell. They all seem very happy together. The guppies take the top of the tank and the discus the bottom. No-one seems to recommend guppies with discus though so we were wondering if it is ok to keep them together.... they look so lovely and they tend to keep to their own species!

The discus may eat the baby guppies, certainly. If not, I'm curious to see how the guppies do in the warm discus water. Probably they would breed like crazy, 'cause that's what they do...Seriously though if you have to raise the temp of the tank much above the 86f mark the guppies will suffer.. :roll:

Heiko Bleher
Sat May 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher again, and I wonder how much people look the question of the right into mates for fishes.

I give 37 examples of mates for discus in my book, explain in detail what lives with what and can only suggest to read. The problem is: we should think fish, and than we certainly realize what lives with what and that should be done. And not place an elephant and a rabbit in the same cage...

Think, suggestion from a collector

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

cityguy
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 08:26 AM
Very Right Heiko, elephant and rabbits are not for the same cage :-)