PDA

View Full Version : TDS Levels

Geckoman
Sun Jan 06, 2008, 04:41 PM
I wanted to know if anyone could give some idea of what my TDS level should read on my Hanna Probe? My ph is 6.4 out of the tap and I was having a problem holding it. I started adding Equalibrium and I don't want to over do it. 70 gal tank with plants and co2 device.Plants doing well so are the five discus. Just want the proper levels if any.

Thanks a Bunch!!

sponge2
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hi my tds is run at 200ppm in my breeding cubes and in my main grow on tanks i run it at 300-320ppm as the fish growing on seem to do better in a slitly higher ppm,
Discus can go up to 400ppm but you will start to see it in the fish so i avoid going over the 320 mark.

Geckoman
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:19 AM
Thanks for that information, the water company has changed the levels of ph since I started my tank. I had 7.0 when I first started with the Discus and I had a pair breeding. Since then I ran into quite a few problems with Blood Worms from Hikari infecting them. I don’t use them any longer and eliminated them all togetherfrom the diet since they hold very little nutritional value.

The PH issue is the one I am getting a good handle on. I measured the ppm and it is @265. I had it at 320 and I did an 18 gal water change, added less of the equilibrium to see how it affected the value. I add one TBLS per 6 Gal as I change water.

I am probably going to switch to using Neutral regulator and Discus buffer in the very near future. Looks as if it will be way less trouble to use.

sponge2
Mon Jan 07, 2008, 06:17 AM
Are tap water is all over the place as well, Most is clorine and from the tap it is about 430ppm and ph is 7.4, it is also hard.
So every thing has to be filtered so it is quite comon here to use 50% hma and 50% ro to bring all the levels down.
So we do not have to add minerals every time we water change.

JoeDiscus85
Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:52 AM
wow thats crazy gecko man how did the blood worms make the fish sick??? I use them just about every day, Hikari or sanfrancisco brand, what exactly did they get infected with? fI grew up in ronkonkoma where in long island r u from?