kalebjarrod
Tue Nov 23, 2004, 10:10 AM
welcome to my new tank

6ft x 18 x 18

THANKS SANDRA & GEORGE DOWN A G & S AQUARIUMS

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT PRICE AND DISCOUNT FOR BEING A D/F MEMBER

this is just a starting point of a steup thread

i will be incorporating a new idea i have had in semi-automated water changing

i will also be making the filter big enough to accomidate tanks in the garage if i so choose a little later

i will explain the DIY filter as i go

ENJOY :wink:

flukes
Tue Nov 23, 2004, 01:34 PM
So far, so good :wink:

Chris McMahon
Wed Nov 24, 2004, 04:22 AM
Looks like you've got a dud tank. I don't know if you have noticed, but there appears to be two large holes in the side of the tank. I'd be getting them fixed if I was you.

:lol:

Tryhard
Thu Nov 25, 2004, 09:19 AM
Unfortunatly I would have to agree with Chris - Tell you what since it is useless to you send it nto me - I am sure there is SOMETHING I can use it for !!!!!!!!.

kalebjarrod
Thu Nov 25, 2004, 10:34 AM
damm it i knew G&S screwed me LOL

they are all in the plans boys and girls

been out buying leaf screens for water tanks and plumbing pvc parts :wink:

i'll start on the wekend but i won't get much done its my sons 2nd BDAY

gonna have to do some coll daddy stuff

flukes
Sat Nov 27, 2004, 12:54 AM
Oh no Ryan dont get out the clown suit again your going to scare the poor kid!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kalebjarrod
Sat Nov 27, 2004, 09:10 AM
my kids are over clown suits more into medievil transvetite mormon devilworshiping bisexual cow outfits :shock:

but thanks for asking scott!

kalebjarrod
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 06:25 AM
i stained the stand and the hood today, added the first coat of estapol

stained in a western cedar with a satin finish

pulled together some of my PVC parts to show you, haven't put it together yet just thought you may be interested :wink:

kalebjarrod
Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:46 AM
painted and sealed

inside tomorrow

fozziwozzi
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:51 PM
nice job!! :lol:

flukes
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:18 PM
Hrmmm very nice, i gotta find a good arigation shop in melbourne as bunnings doesnt have half the things i need and its too expensive..!!

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 06:41 AM
its inside

i had to move my computer so i could fit it in

i have added the substrate and some of the gravel, i still need to do the aquascaping :wink:

Chris McMahon
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 07:06 AM
I can see where you're going with those holes now. Unfortunately your idea to give the fish "breathing holes" won't work. Once the water level rises past the holes it will leak out. :cry: Most people you air hoses for this. Try asking in your LFS.

I suggest you try to plug the holes all the way. I noticed you tried to use rubber(?) plugs, but it looks like they themselves have holes too. Try going to your local rubber seller and look for "plugs" or "bungs" - make sure you get the right size.

Other than that, looking good.

:wink:

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 07:10 AM
the thing is chris i heard what happened when your tank broke.

i thought i would speed up the process by adding the hole now at this early stage lol

i start on the filter tomorrow :wink:

Chris McMahon
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 07:17 AM
i thought i would speed up the process by adding the hole now at this early stage lolI'm miles ahead of you. Now I just run the hose straight onto the power points. Although it does lack that excitement of not knowing exactly when I'll be electrocuted.

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 08:35 AM
LOL i could have saved a lot of cash and just bought a nylex hose and a "how to divorce" papers over the internet....... next time mate :wink:

weird
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 02:21 PM
too funny man. Looking great Ryan.

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:07 AM
started to tear the house apart today

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:11 AM
had to get to plastic 44 gallon drum, measure the bench space and cut each accordingly

i had to put a bulkhead through one (i always silicone my bulkheads so i never worry about leaks)

DIY
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:12 AM
Yep, looking good. I can't wait to see it finished

Perhaps Ryan's going to knock some holes in the wall. Could be joining up to a tank on the other side & let his cardinals swim from tank to tank :lol:

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:15 AM
we decided to paint the side where the bulkheds went through black so you could not see the piping

i also had to cut through the wall of our family room

glad i got it right the first time LOL

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:21 AM
got a little tricky screwing in the pvc to the bulkheads, i had to move the tank slightly , two turns of the thread, move the tank again, two turns of thread etc etc till done

i then had to go outside and start plumbing in the shed, this incorpatates a water change system, alot simpler than my first design!

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:24 AM
and more plumbing

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:27 AM
and some more bits and pieces

and a 200lt storage drum

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:33 AM
i am now really R O O T E D

i bung as much stuff into one day as possible, i need to get some more bits tomorrow, i have to get a few more elbows, hook up the float in the drum, get the rotating arm working, get the float in the sump and the sump saftey switch working

i can however fill the tank tomorrow :wink:

been a huge day, here are somemore shots of my filter racks and final pic for the day

Mattzilla
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 01:03 PM
what an awesome presentation!!! i am learning a lot from this so thansk very much for sharing

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 11:41 PM
thanks matt

i am trying to show as much as possible, still loads more to come

DIY
Mon Dec 06, 2004, 07:13 AM
Gotta love the DIY - looks awsome

great trickle setup, plenty of media, easy to clean!

I also like the disco ball in the background :lol:

Keep posting, it's satisfying my DIY urges without doing me raising a sweat :wink:

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:11 AM
got the water changer running today

simple setup of three valves (you only really need two but i always err on the side of caution)

open the main tank valve on the left, to empty the tank turn the bottom valve, bingo............ you drop 180ltrs (or you can turn it off whenever you like ie; 50ltrs etc etc)

next turn of the bottom valve and turn on the valve to the right and you empty into the tank 185ltrs (the extra five should cope with the evaporation through the day/s)

to finish turn them all off........... thats called a 50% water change

P.S i have a keg in the shed next to the filter, guess what i do while i wait to turn of the valve's.................... LOL

photos of today

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:15 AM
heres a pic of the valve setup including the drain pipe i run onto my lawn and plants

simple 19mm clear piping to keep the hassle of pvc to a minimum plus once you turn of the valve thier in no presure in the line for maybe 47 hours before you do your next change

all this setpup is run by gravity feed tanks and lines, thier is no pumps in this setup................. check the presure at the outlet, and this is after i go around some pretty nasty corners LOL

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:24 AM
i also got the rotating hub working today, i still have to get the inlet piping done but i will do that soon

the pics are showing the water that is coming off from the extra water change i did today to clean the pipes, tanks and sumps.

i still have to put a overflow in the sump, a float valve in the 200lt storage drum and a "stop pump float" in the sump for the pump

i also have to complete the water inlet pipe, i still have no idea where this is coming from or going too.............

to be honest I had a bit of an idea what i was gonna do but i never imagend any of this............. i am sort of going as i go for lack of a better word LOL

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:41 AM
just for some people who may be new to the idea of glueing pvc

I love PVC

there are a couple of simple rules with PVC

* put it all together dry, make sure it fits together
* prime your surfaces well, this will make the glue work as it is meant too
* insert the glue into your fitting (as show in pic) not onto the pipe, any excess will be pushed into the fitting & pipe and you won't have messy green glue drip on the outside of the pipe and driping onto floors, carpet, tiles etc etc.
* DON'T glue it where you don't have too. over carpet yes you do. inside you tank doesn't matter, if it leaks it is only gonna drip into your pipe which is meant to take the water anyway. over your sump, why bother, if you do you will NEVER BE ABLE TO GET IT APART AGAIN. have the moto "if it leaks here does it matter" answer YES glue it, NO don't bother!

AND THE LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE

IT DRYS IN ONE SECOND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR ANGLES RIGHT, PUSH THE JOIN TOGETHER FAR ENOUGH AND ARE CONFIDENT IN YOUR MOVEMENTS

you get one shot at the join, do it right and it will never leak, take as much presure as you like and impress the hell out of your friends LOL

Also remember that when you have to screw together parts "Thread Tape" is one of the only things that will stop a leak so when you think that has got to be far to much add some more then add it again.

i used about 3/4 of a roll per join, seems alot but it is better than trying to get the pipeing apart and add more latter THAT SUCKS C R A P

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 06, 2004, 09:43 AM
hang on that pic above does not have any thread tape onit

WHOOPS GOT A LEAK ALREADY

:roll:

Annie
Tue Dec 07, 2004, 04:53 AM
Wow, you have been busy! Looks like it is coming long very well.

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 08:58 AM
i have finished the inlet side of the pumping system

attached a spare pump to it and it seems to be working (thank c rap for that)

its only running at about 1500lts per hour

i will buy a bigger one soon (funds are a bit tight as we are coming to christmas)

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:03 AM
i have installed a float in the storage drum, i have also hooked it up to a garden hose for a temporey measure

it is working well and in the new year i will hook it up to the mains outside on a solinoid valve so it only fills once a day :wink:

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:06 AM
i have also hooked up the lights, duel four footer for the moment

i hooked them up in series so their is only one lead to the power point

i thought i was preety good considering my knowlege of power! (never try it at home, i had "helper" :wink: )

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:09 AM
i have started some aquascaping

so far so good

i have only been able to use what i have laying around so i am happy so far!

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 10:17 AM
its clearing up very nice even with the smaller pump

i added some plants today and it is starting to look goodish (even got some plants to pearl today)

i have to build the CO2 diffuser and move it back up the other end

i also had a chance to get the low level float working in the sump, this will turn off the pump when the water hits a "low level". I have to setup the overflow from the sump so then if i get a blackout i never have to worry about the sump overfilling and spilling onto the floor and i never have to worry about the pump burning out

i can also now just turn my taps to do a water change, the pump will turn itself off when it hits its low level. when i turn the refill valve on it will turn it self back on when its safe BINGO :wink:

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:44 AM
i have thrown a few guppies in because my boys could not understand the concept of a "fishless tank" i have only added four so that i don't feel to guilty about dropping them into a fresh tank

some of these pics are for a mate who keeps hassleing me every day for more pics

LOL

Sutto
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:55 AM
some of these pics are for a mate who keeps hassleing me every day for more pics

LOL

:oops: I wonder who that could be :twisted: :P

As I tell you almost everyday, this tank is absolutely Stunning. Would you mind giving us a spread sheat with every detail on pricing when finished :p

-Sutto

nag
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:49 PM
Awesome Ryan, awesome...

I'm still trying to figure out:
1. On the left side of the tank, you've one pipe for inlet; what's the other for?
2. On the right, you've a small pipe running...this is for?

Maybe a schematic representation of the whole system will make things easily understandable for me... :)

Thanks buddy.
Regards,

Annie
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:08 AM
WOW'zers, it has come along awesome. Very inspiring!

kalebjarrod
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:19 AM
on the right hand side was a bad DIY CO2 diffuser

on the left is the overflow the the trickle system, this is the pipe extended to the top water line of the tank

the other is the outley for the water changes and turn a few valves it becomes the inlet for the aged and treated fresh water

i will try and do a diagram soon, i suck at that stuff though

Mattzilla
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:02 PM
mate your tank is looking awesome and you have so many great ideas for everyone to use..

thanks for the pics and tips....keep em coming

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 09:28 AM
heres a drwing of my setup

it is hard to draw as it goes through walls etc etc

hope this helps :wink:

jwight
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 01:20 PM
Great job. I was thinking of doing a DIY filter system like you have as I cant bear to part with $500 when it looks so simple. Just a quick question what happens in a power failure?

kalebjarrod
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:23 AM
thanks

in a power failure the water will drain to about 4cm from the top of the tank

when the power come back on the pump will restart, if there has been to much water drained from the system the sump pump will turn itself off

no damage can occur

i plan to put inplace a float valve in the sump in the new year ( when i get funds LOL ) this should keep the sump "topped up" and keep the pump flowing after balckouts :wink:

does that make sense?

jwight
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah it makes sense.

Have you kept a record of how much money you have spent.

I have done a simpler semi-automatic water changer for my new tank and am planning one for my two other tanks. My water changers have the unfortunate problem that they can not be permantely set up so it has to be simpler. I will show pics when aquascaped and discus are added!!!

Great job.

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:27 AM
yeah thanks dwight

i have the benifit of knowing how to put all the pvc together and have contacts to buy the stuff, plus the space and "authoritar" hence the reason i go for the permante setup.

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 10:58 AM
i pulled out the sump today so i thought i would show you the automatic sump float switch

it is simpley held onto the overflow from the bio filter by a stainless steel hose clamp

it has a simple moving ball in the float that turn the switch on or off depending if the float is "floating" up in the air or dangling down

you also see how i have installed the overflow for those unforeseen emergencys

kalebjarrod
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:24 AM
the tank is starting to look good, plants are growing and i have added a few bristlenose, rummy nose and glass catfish

weird
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:47 AM
Coming along really nicely. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 02:29 AM
its starting to grow,

got 10 cardinals, 6 glass cat fish, 7 rummy nose, 10 B/N, 4 snails (for the boys

and a single red spoted leopard called Princess BJ :cry: she will have some friends soon :lol:

P.S that name was for my wife just as flukes suggested LOL

Ben
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 02:53 AM
What more can i say than Well Done!
cheers,
Ben

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 09:48 AM
it looks a bit better at night.

Dave76
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hi Ryan

looks really good :)

I love the lotus in the middle.

Regards

Dave

weird
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 12:05 PM
wow that is spectactualar Ryan. The mrs has given me the ok to get some CO2 equipment next month ... to quote u, my plants are surviving, not striving <will get the equipment from QLD company we talked about in a post months n months ago ... will use a CO2 fire extinguisher I have sitting in the garage.> Maybe I can show some pics of the difference.

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 09:23 PM
i just wiped back through a couple of the pics just in this thread. the difference in the tank from the 12-12-04 till now (19-02-05) is outstanding.

the tank is only running about 1.4WPG wait till i get another dual fluro in there. that will bump me up to around 2.16 WPG then i will think about upgrading to a milwakee presurized Co2 system.

i have also been really busy at work so i have been really slack in my fert regieme, i may have to look at a automated trace element doser.

so just seeing the tanks growth now i am pretty happy and excited to see what happens with a few upgrades :wink:

Dave76
Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi Ryan

What ferts do you does & how often ?

Dave

kalebjarrod
Sun Feb 20, 2005, 03:52 AM
i use a simple kitty litter substrate

6mtn fern root tablets in the substarte and a dose of potash, iron and chelated iron once a week if i remember

i will be dosing properly soon, when i get my lazy bum down to G & S again with some more doe!

DiscusD
Sun Feb 20, 2005, 07:23 AM
i use a simple kitty litter substrate

6mtn fern root tablets in the substarte and a dose of potash, iron and chelated iron once a week if i remember

i will be dosing properly soon, when i get my lazy bum down to G & S again with some more doe!

I'm sorry, but I'm still quite new at this Discus game. What does all that mean?

dreamer
Sun Feb 20, 2005, 07:39 AM
he was talking about his planted tank and fertilisers and stuff ... nothing to do with discus,

DiscusD
Sun Feb 20, 2005, 09:05 PM
ahh now it all makes sense, thanks :roll:

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:41 PM
so i finnaly got some more fish, my tanks looks rather sad as i haven't fertizlered her in a month.

any hoo

i managed to get

2 blue diamonds

2 red melons

2 golden mozaics

plus i already have my red spotted leapard "Princess BJ" named after and for my lovley wife

is it a conicidence that "Princess BJ" is a bossy bully that eats all the food and picks on her housemates while running around like she owns the joint....................... :?

in the week i have had them i have completely lost one mozaic. By lost i mean it has dissappered, no body, no fish, just gone.

pics

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:09 PM
hi ryan,
could you tell me where you got all the plumbing gear from? did you look down the back of the tank or on the floor for the LOST fish?

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
yeah i looked on the floor in the pipes, in the filter. I pulled out all the logs and rocks, even down the side of the lounge!

Just Gone!

i get all my pipes and stuff from Graham at Oxenford Pumps and Pipes

great guy, cheaper than bunnings :wink:

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:31 PM
great thanx im going to be making a sump soon and dont have a large budget so i need a good place to buy everything from.

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:34 PM
tell him i sent ya,

he knows me well

he is also gonna start a new fishtank soon so talk fish he loves it LOL

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:42 PM
lol ok so tell him keeping fish is the easiest thing on the planet and promise him free samples of my discus.

*COUGH................ COUGH*

kalebjarrod
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 07:10 AM
Got some better pics of my fish today

kalebjarrod
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 07:25 AM
and a few more

goldenpigeon
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
very nice ryan

duck
Mon Mar 28, 2005, 07:54 AM