PDA

View Full Version : HOY HOY

AHC
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:04 AM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank this forum for existing in Oz. By far the best forum i have visited so i had to become a member.

Its been a fantastic journey becoming a discus owner. It all started with the basic tropical fish and went from there. I got into discus through natural progression of fish keeping and i dont think i will ever go into marine. They are just the coolest little buggers i have ever seen. I researched discus for quite a few months and had spoken to a few LFS around sydney. Thinking i knew everything about discus, i gave my then current fish away (Angels, Gold Severums, Ghost Knife Fish and a few Dwarf Gouarmi's), set my 3ft x 1.5ft x 2ft high display tank up for discus and went out to buy (3 1/2 months ago). I bought 2 turqs, 1 snakeskin, 1 red pigeon blood and some cardinals. My 1st lesson, you can never research enough to know everything about them. Thanks to the wide range of info that is available, I gradually worked my discus to eat a more varied diet and accept me and my home. :D

2 weeks later, the Turqs laid eggs on the glass. This was the greatest surprise ever as i hadnt then worked out how to tell the difference between male, female and notice the pre dance of a pair. I should have picked up the cleaning ritual though. I eventually had to set up a spare standard bare 3 ft tank, with some tetras, for the turqs as they were very territorial and the snakeskin was being picked on a lot. Being the weaker of the small group of fish he got the brunt of it. This way the turqs (being
relatively young) and i can learn about the fry raising experience without anyone being bullied :shock: . Once the new tank cycled and the turqs transferred i then went out and bought 2 more discus for the display tank. These ones being new age Marlboro's. (or yellow faced melons - depending on which way you want to classify them. Everthing is going great and am currently keeping my eyes open (im a little picky) for another 1 or 2 discus for the display tank (currently 4 in there, want max 5-6 until i upgrade). Im also watching/researching/learning/doing as the turqs try and get fry raising right. I dont want to breed but am curious.

I'm moving back to homebush in the next few months and having already just moved the tank to my current address just before i bought the discus, am dreading the move. The good thing is that i want to upgrade to a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank to support the family and have more toom to create the perfect Amazon look a like tank. Well thats the plan anyway. Will post some pictures soon. ok thats me. All smiles and loving it.

sharkies
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:25 AM
Welcome aboard Aaron81, I am just getting back into discus and have found this forum great, lots of good info so I can't wait to get my 6x2x2 running.

Regards Gary

Matt15
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:44 AM
Welcome Aaron.
After reading your story i'm sure you'll fit in here just fine...:)

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the forum Aaron, and welcome to the wonderful world of discus :P

Xtreme
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 06:08 AM
Welcome mate

Hope u enjoy ur time here
Plenty to learn here

AHC
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Its really great to know there is a supportive community in Discus keeping.