PDA

View Full Version : Running Parallel filters of a T join

Alex Cheng
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of running 2 filters off a T join so I can take either of them offline if required.

Does anyone do this? Are there pros and cons?

I guess the main reason to do it that way would be less outtakes and intakes in the aquarium as well as less tubing

Thanks,
Alex

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
dont see why it shouldn't work, just to be safe you bettur up thge size of the tubing from the join to the tank(ie go from a 16mm intake hose to a 20mm intake hose), so as not to restrict flow.

Mr Discus
Sun Dec 30, 2007, 02:34 AM
Like ILLUSN said, if you are running 2 filters at full flow load into a T piece, then you are going to have to go almost 2/3, sometimes double the size of the original hoses coming from the canisters.

You will be creating a bottle-neck effect, just like on a car exhaust, whereby you have a full flow through the first stage of hoses, and then once they hit the T section, you will slow the flow right down, where once you had a single flow of water in say a 16mm hose, you will now have twice as much water trying to flow through the same hose diameter, which will slow BOTH the filter's efficiency levels down.

I personally would go talk to an irrigation supplier and ask what they would recommend (diameter wise) for the single hose going to the tank. Explain to them the flow rates of each canister and what the intention is.

At the end of the day if you don't do it properly you will be decreasing your filtration efficiency and possibly the lifespan of both canister filters.

Alex Cheng
Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
I think that's my main concern with using the T. The outflow where they join up is the big ? in terms of backwash and the filters fighting each other.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 31, 2007, 06:23 AM
wont be a problem if you get your hose sizing right. for the output keep the smaller hoses as long as possible and T them together as they return to the tank. if you wanted to do this on the cheep but still have it look nice, aquaone parts for the aquis 2400 fit a 25mm hos. you sould have no problem finding a 25mm T at bunnings ($1.45) and a couple of reducers ($0.65 ea).

Xtreme
Mon Dec 31, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hi there,

Try a y-piece instead of a t-piece
they work alot better
HTH

fishgeek
Tue Jan 01, 2008, 09:08 AM
ideally you would want some from of one way gate to so that cant get incorrect flow
dont think they make anything like that, or certainly not that i am aware of

fishgeek
Tue Jan 01, 2008, 09:11 AM
is there no edit function? or am i just abit simple?

if you are most concerned about intake's outlets etc in tank

buy and make your own large bore return and intake... joine the filter hosing to these, so the only place where pressure could increase as far as on the return side is easily overcome by increasing the holes in the spray bar, i would image with the hole you shouldnt get back pressure of any real amount unless you severly under do it anyway

andrew