PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Sydney

Noddy65
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 07:58 AM
Hey everyone
Im moving to Sydney.
The wife has a job down Menangle way.
Any good suburbs to check out or bad ones to keep away from?
We will be wanting to live down that way ie Campbelltown, Camden, etc etc. :D

Mike

ILLUSN
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
camden is nice and quiet, campbeltown isn't too bad either, the kids can get a bit rowdy on a fri/sat night.

try and stay away from the cheeper areas, as tempting as some of them are, they are cheap for a reason.

Noddy65
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Illusion...weve checked out some places on the web and assumed the cheaper places were cheap because no-one wants to live there.

Its a big move from WA as we cant just jump in a car and check out the suburbs. Its all a blind move really.

Mike

Th0mas
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hi Mike,

You've really bite the bullet and moving over - it's not just for the fish :)

The ares of choice really depends on your budget really.

The more expensive areas does have their reason to cost more (eg. cooler with sea breeze, more trees, etc).

The newly developed sites (out west) are quite nice and cheap, but usually low in trees (as the developers usually taken them out), transport infrastructure not well develop, hot in summer (lacks the sea breeze) and a long distance to the city (if you have to work in the city).

Living near the relative is nice, but if budget permits, it's probably better off to find a place better suited to your family and settle there. I think it's better to rent first (although rent is soaring), as it give you some extra time to find the place you like (while not permanently committed to a property).

Good luck.

Thomas.

Noddy65
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:28 AM
Hi Thomas
The sister in law lives in Sydney proper...we have no desire to live there.
The wifes new job is out at Menagnle, near Camden so we will look out that way first...we were thinking of Camden, Picton area really...the places look ok that we can see on the web. Weve heard terrible things about Campbelltown so were after opinons of where is nice in that sort of area.

Yeh...renting is the first option, at least for 6 months until we find our feet. We may only stay in NSW for 3 - 5 years so will have to decide then whether its worth renting or buying.

Mike

ps...I am looking forward to the extra fish and also to the extra plants you guys can keep...

Th0mas
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
Hi Mike,

Camden seems to be a decent area, however always put transport into consideration as Sydney peak hour traffic can be pretty bad (not sure how this is like in Perth).

BTW, where is Menagnle?? I've tried looking in whereis.com.au and there isn't any suburb with such name.....??

Thomas.

Noddy65
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:47 AM
:oops: Ooops...my terrible spelling...its Menangle.
Sydney peak hour isnt an issue as we wont be going into Sydney for work...

Mike

gav
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:52 AM
harrington park and mt annan are both good suburbs/estates just near camden. well worth a look

Noddy65
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your help.
So far we have a list of places to check out:

Mt Anan
Harrington Park
Currins Hill
Menangle
Narellinvale
Camden
Picton.
And many places west of the freeway.

Mike

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'd put picton at the bottom of that list.
Mt anan would be my pick followed bu camben, them harrington park (bit pricy for the land size but the homes are new).

Cant comment about the rest of them as i dont know people living there.

when you move in drop by for a bbq I'm just down the northern rd from you :)

boost.puppy
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
yay penrith!! :P

ILLUSN
Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
Mike,
hows the moving plans going? if need to ship your fish up first I've just put in a couple more holding tanks in the fish room (270L and a 300L).

boost.puppy
nothin beaths "da riff"

Noddy65
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Illusin
We move over in early Feb. The wife arrives 4th Feb and I arrive 11 Feb.
Have a house in Cummins Hill.
The sister in law is setting up a few cheap Bunnings tubs for me to hold the fish. They arrive in Sydeny on the 4th with the wife.
Im bringing over. A. baenschi, A. pebas, and some tangs I like. Black calvus, leluipis and a pair of N. cylindricus.
Also shipping over a rack of tanks but they arent really apisto ready so will have to go and buy some apisot suitable tanks. The tanks will take about 3 weeks to get there anyway, Perth is a LONG way away.

Mike

Th0mas
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
Are the fish coming over with you or the missus?

Tank shipping will be interesting - are they insured for the trip?

scott bowler
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:12 PM
good luck getting over here noddy hope it all goes to plan mate .

Noddy65
Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:16 AM
Hi guys
The fish are coming over with the wife...Im staying in Perth for a week or so to finish things off over here.

Mike