PDA

View Full Version : driftwood splinter in head

metalman
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 04:24 AM
Help! my blue turk has headbutted some driftwood, and has a big splinter above his eye. What do I do? operate, or leave it?

Xtreme
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 04:28 AM
Pull it out
should come out as easy as it went in
mayb treat it with a antibiotic as well for piece of mind

metalman
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 04:38 AM
errrr, whats the best way to go about it?

metalman
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 04:50 AM
I have just had a closer look, and it is about 20mm long going front to back. It is much longer than I first thought.

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 07:26 AM
It's still got to come out.

The whole area will become infected if you leave it there.

Get everything ready, with a wet towel and a pair of tweezers. Catch the fish and lay him carefully on the wet towel. Fold over a corner of the towel to hold the fish steady and remove the splinter with the tweezers with one smooth steady movement.

Return the fish to a hospital tank, and add one heap teaspoon of plain salt per 40 litres of tank water to aid with the healing. If you have some Betadine Ointment (available from the chemist), apply that to the wound before returning the fish to the tank.

Hassles
Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hey Metalman

what was the outcome with your splintered fish :?: I ask as a discus breeding friend of mine unexpectedly lost a fish some time back and upon retrieving the carcass from the tank noticed a small splinter in its side. Left unchecked, this was enough to cause the fatality.

JoeDiscus85
Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:37 AM
ugh that sounds a tad rough