PDA

View Full Version : Female Cacatuoide that cant swim ?

kr0nic
Tue Dec 25, 2007, 03:57 AM
Hey guys and gals, ill start with a Merry Xmas to you all.

I bought a pair of Cacatuoides a few months ago, the female i got has never been able to maintain 'level' when swimming in the water, if she wants to swim up to the top of the tank she has to stick her nose nearly vertical then kick like mad. And when she stops kicking she will quickly just fall back down.

Would i be right in thinking that she has a problem with her swim bladder ? She eats fine and seems to be a otherwise healthy fish. Im going to assume theres nothing that can be done and its most likely just a birth defect ?

jkomaromi
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 06:53 AM
They don't usually like to come to the top of the water, unless hungry and there is food for them.
I would check the water perimeters and change 1/3 of the water.
Cheers
John

Th0mas
Tue Jan 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
Based on your description, I think it's a genetic deformation (internal), and cannot be cured. Do you know where the stock originate from?

Don't breed with her, as her siblings will have more serious deformations.

kr0nic
Fri Jan 18, 2008, 05:52 AM
Based on your description, I think it's a genetic deformation (internal), and cannot be cured. Do you know where the stock originate from?

Don't breed with her, as her siblings will have more serious deformations.

Not 100% on where she came from, i got her shipped from a breeder in QLD. Shes still a lovely fish but i certinally wont breed with her. Thanks for the replies.