PDA

View Full Version : CaribSea Eco COmplete vs ADA Aqua Soil

Alex Cheng
Sat Dec 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm setting up a planted 4x2x2 tank with mainly low grassy cover. I'm trying to decide what substrate to use. Has anyone compared Eco Complete and ADA?

I'm planning to grow mainly HC at this point.

Alex

revkev
Sat Dec 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
I have tried ADA and have had problems with it breaking up making the tank cloudy so changed to Eco-complete with no problems. Do a price check on both.
substrate calculator site
http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

AQUAMX
Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:20 AM
Hi

I have been using ADA substrates for 2 years and have never encountered the clouding issue as described above.

Having grown aquatic plants for approx 15 years now i have never used anything as good. Its clean and easy to use and looks fantastic.

I have not used eco complete but hear it is very good also. I think you would be happy with either substrate.

ktakeshi
Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
i have used ada substrate too, and breaking up and being cloudy was never an issue

axl
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:32 AM
Hi,
what depth should we aim for when using these products and where is the cheapest place to buy ada substrate.

Proteus
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:12 AM
Wouldnt waste my money on ADA after seeing several tanks that always remained cloudy (some of which were documented and photos are on this forum, along with other forums). I would rather a tank that you can just leave and have good plant growth over something that needs lots of water changes, too many unused nutrients etc etc

On the other hand I have used Eco-Complete with no issues at all and would recommend it over ADA anyday.

where is the cheapest place to buy ada substrate

Those words dont go together in Australia... cheap here means ripped off.

ktakeshi
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:24 AM
still the same reply, i have used it for over 2 years now, and it has never break up or gone cloudy on me,
it is highly recommended to use ada power sand with the soil substrate.

LINK REMOVED - BANNED COMMERCIAL ENTITY

have a look at the webpage,

care must be taken with water change, as with all soil substrate, if you disturb the bottom, all hell breaks loose, but thats a given for any substrate anyway. so a plate, or a suitable flow rate should be used.

Proteus
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:32 AM
if you disturb the bottom, all **** breaks loose, but thats a given for any substrate anyway.

Obviously you havent used Eco-Complete... no need to be all gentle with that stuff.

Proteus
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:36 AM
ktakeshi... or should we call you amano san.... pffffffft

It may have worked for you and others, but it has also caused a lot of other people more of a headache that it is worth.

for example, all the following use ADA substrates, some of these pics taken months after the tank was set up.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/files/ada_contaminated.jpg

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/files/ada_africana.jpg

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:43 AM
Having grown aquatic plants for approx 15 years now i have never used anything as good.

That means you started growing aquarium plants when you were 4 years old Brad :!:

Amazing :roll:

TW
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:00 AM
That pic certainly shows a bad experience for some of users of ADA here - hope I never experience it. It's good to be forewarned this could happen.

There's lots of ADA success stories too, & for balanced advice, the good & bad experiences should be shared. Maybe there've been bad batches of ADA AS out there. I know of USA Eco Complete users who talk of being caught out by bad batches of Eco Complete in the US market couple of years back - it can happen.

I sense a lot of angst here about ADA AS - almost makes me scared to admit I use & like it. But we're all hobbyists sharing experiences in our own tanks, so here goes. I set up an ADA tank over 18 months ago with no clouding issues. Just recently set up another ADA tank with no clouding issues. I used Ammazonia AS.

I love ADA Amazonia substrate & plan using it again.

My biggest gripe about ADA is IMO Aussies are being ripped off price wise. If you check out USA ADA site, you'll see our US friends pay way less, even taking into account US / AUS currency exchange rate. I don't think prices charged in AUS are fair at all. This is for right across the board of all ADA products. They're far too expensive.

But then again, I also find that most AUS aquarium items seem to cost way more here than in USA, but ADA is even more so.

Some ADA AS advice I was given by some US planted geek hobbyists (but didn't need to follow) was:-

* daily 50% water changes for the 1st week or so,
* gradual build up of the lighting period (if you plan on high light). This was suggested by them though, for any new tank where high wpg light is planned; &
* using carbon in the first for the 1st 2 weeks

Having said all that, from everything I've read, you should be more than happy using Eco Complete, as well. It's meant to be a great planted tank substrate.

Anyway, each to their own & all in peace, harmony & friendship.

Proteus
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:30 AM
I know of USA Eco Complete users who talk of being caught out by bad batches of Eco Complete in the US market couple of years back - it can happen.

This is true, but bear in mind we dont get the "wet" version of Eco here in Australia which contains various bacteria cultures, etc etc...

Due to Aus quarantine laws we get the dry version. From all the reading I have done, plus having friends who have the wet variety of Eco, this is most likely where the clouding issue with Eco may occur.

What peeves me off to the hilt, as mentioned above, is the pricing. I know how much it costs (in AU & YEN) and the product leaves Japan at the same price for us here as it does for the U.S. market, add to that shipping is cheaper to come to us, what gives.

For those that just say it is a good product etc etc, fine, no problem, but there are quite a few people that think we need this information forced down our throats, to them I say, go drown yourself in a bucket of dirt.

FWIW, I currently have tanks with Dupla substrate, Flora Base, Sand and think they are the beez neez, yet I dont try and ram this info down peoples throats at every occassion like a few people in the hobby down here, oh thats right, for most of them it isnt a hobby, it is there job... figures.

TW
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:46 AM
Proteus, it's not my job, I'm a hobbyist. Wayne knows who I am, a very solid customer of his, who plans remaining his loyal customer way into the future.
but there are quite a few people that think we need this information forced down our throats, to them I say, go drown yourself in a bucket of dirt. That's harsh. I really didn't notice that attitude from any of the people who responded on this thread. The "feel" I get is they were sharing their experience, in response to a question asked by another hobbyist, who was asking for that very information.
What peeves me off to the hilt, as mentioned above, is the pricing. I know how much it costs (in AU & YEN) and the product leaves Japan at the same price for us here as it does for the U.S. market, add to that shipping is cheaper to come to us, what gives.
Totally agree with you there. I'd like to know what gives, too :x

Proteus
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:56 AM
That's harsh. I really didn't notice that attitude from any of the people who responded on this thread. The "feel" I get is they were sharing their experience, in response to a question asked by another hobbyist, who was asking for that very information.

That was not directed at you, the ones who are most responsible for this constant trash talk are not welcome on this forum, so we are mostly spared from the constant dribble.

it's not my job, I'm a hobbyist.

Once again, not directed at you, and I also know who you are and that you are a hobbyist. :wink:

You will find that comments such as have been deleted from previous posts in this thread are from people who have other motives and try and cause trouble. Dont you think that if the previous answers were all above board, and didnt contains issues that you would have myself and another admin having to involve ourselves??? I would rather a discussion be held in good spirit yet a few try and cause trouble, funnily enough, it is usually over the same products or to do with certain businesses (this information is removed as it goes against the terms of use on this forum).

ktakeshi
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 04:49 AM
i have just joined this forum and posted twice regarding the ada soil, which i truly have used.
i really didnt think it was all that big a deal.

i dont mean any trouble, and really appreciate what you and other admins are doing for this forum,
just dont want you to think that i was associated with a shop or a brand,

i picked up the sera co2 system from the njlocksmith_1984 at sydney east last weekend, so he can let you know that I am just a regular hobbyist that just really like the hobby.

i will edit and delete the previous posts, as a form of apology to have confused you and other forumers.

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
No apology necessary ktakeshi.

Your opinion is welcomed, as is the opinion of those who have had poor experiences with various products.

I really think we have exhausted this subject, so I hope all will understand why I have locked this thread.