PDA

View Full Version : What a surprise- wrigglers in tank

m tomasums
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 02:54 AM
Hi there
I have had a few posts recently about "fry being eaten" in a tank. Now, much to my surprise I discovered eggs in my other tank that has two discus, 2 clown loaches, 1 neon and 2 resboras. I thought the eggs looked white and were not fertilised but to my surprise this morning there are wrigglers on the boat sail. Should I be moving the other fish or just leaving them? Please advise!
Thanking you

Miriam

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 05:33 AM
Their chance of survival in a comunity tank is very low, however they are just as low if you move the parents and fry.

see how they go it will do them good to loose their first batch or 2 of fry, setup a breeding tank or strip your existing tank as soon as the fry are gone.

m tomasums
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:18 AM
Yeah, It is a 4 ft tank and the gravel on the bottom is black. Have everything going against me.
Question: For the next time what If I just partition the tank and put all the gravel etc to the other side do you think I will have a chance with them then?

It will be ashame to see this batch disappear. Thw wrigglers look so big and helathy for a day old!
I'll be in touch.

I really can't have another tank. Have 3 in the house already.

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:35 AM
4 foot is a little big, strip out your smallest tank completely and use that for breeding, if need be head out to a platics shop and have some opaque plastic cut to size to partition your tank.

best would be A completely bare tank, so as waste cant get trapped anyware, you'll want it super clean for raising fry.

Merrilyn
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:52 AM
Well done Miriam :P

Just leave everything as it is, and let the fry take their chances.

Unfortunately, anything you attempt now (like dividing the tank, removing the other fish, moving the gravel) will disturb the parents so much, they are likely to eat the eggs and fry to "save" them.

What you can do to help the parents, is to leave a small light on 24/7 so that the parents can see, and protect their babies.

You may get a pleasant surprise, and find they are such good parents, they manage to raise a few fry in the tank with the other fish. Stranger things have happened :P

m tomasums
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:08 AM
Merrilyn, I will leave it as is and hope for the best. I might just get a pleasant surprise. Have been disappointed 15 times since August by my other pair in the other tank... just maybe a miracle may happen and i'll get lucky. Will be in touch.

Illusn - I will partition the tank..thanks for the advice.

Miriam