PDA

View Full Version : Help with new tank setup

Muz SA
Wed Dec 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
I am bust planning my next tank which will be 2250mm x 750mm (w) x 700mm (h) - ( 7.38 x 2.46 x 2.29 ft if my conversion is correct )

The tanks is destined to be a planted discus tank which will probably be converted into a reef tank in about 4 years when my current reef tank will need to expand.

For this reason I am planning to build the tank with a sump, all I have planned so far is an overflow chamber in each corner with fairly large linear overflows, 2 x 50mm holes drilled at the bottom which will be for the return flow as well.

Where I need assistance is I am still thinking reef setup and have no idea how to think Discus, where are the areas I need to look at? What is the ideal setup for discus.. I don't want to overlook anything in the planning stages now.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Muz

Muz SA
Wed Dec 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
Anyone ??

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 12, 2007, 10:46 PM
if you can keep a reef tank you can keep discus, both demand exceptional water quality, make sure you cycle your tank well for ATLEAST 2-3 months before you put your fish in, as for your set up, get as much biomedia into your sump as you can, unlike a reef tank you wont have the luxuary of just adding live rock to fix any bio filtration problems.

if your going planted use a good substrate and PLENTY OF LIGHT! (if you have a reef tanks then this shouldnt be a problem for you). remeber the diffrent spectrum between the 2 if you have spare halides go for 6500K globes not the standard reef 10000k-20000k, plants need more red light in the spectrum not blue.

also watch your ph, your reefs like the higher end of the scale where as discus like the lower (5.0-6.5 works best), other then that you'll be fine.

Muz SA
Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the reply

What do you mean by good substrate, I was going to use a silca based sand ( typical pool pump sand or kids play sand ) in the front of the tank due to what I read on the site, as I aquascape upwards to the back, will this still work? I don't see any nutritional value in quartz or glass so I assume you have to use a liquid fertilizer?

Do you have a recommended volume turnover rate for flow to follow when keeping discus, I read that they really don't appreciate being disturbed so much..

Lighting.. is there a general rule of thumb like 2w per litre?

For biomedia are the plastic bio balls still used or is there a more effective method now? I read something about crushed glass ???

I have also seen a lot of mention about sponge filters, I see at our LFS there are very nice Boyu air powered sponge filters, why are these recommended more for discus is there a reason. I can install many in the sump and display but dunno why ?

Thanks for the advice

Muz

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
Sand is ok for a top layer, but it wont grow plants to well without a nutrient rich layer underneath, if you set up a layered substrate you'll have to be VERY carefull with your gravel vac. I prefer a propper plants substrate like eco complete or flora base or dulpa ground, better for the planst and still looks great.

as for turnover 3x tank volume per hour is a good guide, my grow out tanks have about 5x per hour and the fish are fine.

ligthing more is better ( i like 4w/gal or 1w/L) but once you get above 2.5w/gal you'll need co2 or florish excell to keep algae under control.

Bio balls are ok and are as good as they have ever been, there are better alternatives now like seachem matrix which have much more surface area. Sintered glass substraes like micromech and eheim substrate are the ducks guts interms of surface area, but these have a tendency to clog up over time, so if you use them in your sump use them in the final camber after all your fine mech filtration.

sponge filter are great for a fry rareing tank, but DO NOT have the bio capacity of a canister, hob or sump also as they are air driven they dont turn the water over as much. i use them in my bare botom spawning tanks in conjunction with a 90% change daily and removeal of uneaten food after each feed.

dont rely on them as your primery filtration in a moderately stocked discus tank or in a plant tank unless your willing to do daily changes of 30% or more and your willing to remove all uneaten food after 20-30min.

ktakeshi
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 03:34 AM
its really difficult to recommend a good substrate, when you are thinking about using them at both tanks,

for reef tank, the best is of course live sand and crushed coral,
for plant tank, the best is ada soil , ferts, topped with pool sand.

maybe it would be a good idea to convert your reef tank first then build your planted tank in the smaller reef tank now you own,
you will save more effort and money in the long run.

Muz SA
Thu Dec 13, 2007, 05:40 AM
ktakeshi : Yeah the idea did occur to me but reefing here is expensive and so the possibility does exist that the big tank will never make it to become a full blown reef I don't have the cash now and possibly never will for a system that size, I should not have mentioned that.. I was just trying to make a point that my head has been stuck in reefing books for the last year.

ILLUSN : eco complete or flora base or dulpa ground thanks for this info.. I suspected so, these are brand names I have not heard of, i will have to do some research into what brands we have available here.. for some reason discus does not seem popular in the region I am in, these substrates will be tricky to get is suspect.

Thankd for the other info, it really helped !

I am really excited about the discus tank, I think I have enough info to get started.. will post pics as I go.

Thanks

Muz