PDA

View Full Version : What T5 bulbs to run in my setup? Some advice needed...

Mr Discus
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hi guys,

I am getting to the final stages of setting up my new 36" x 18" x 24" tall amazon tank. I have just purchased a lighting unit and need advice on what bulbs I should be running.

The end result of my setup will be a lightly to moderately planted scape, mainly with Swords and Crypts, and probably some other basic and easily looked after plants. It will be very much an amazonian style scape, with driftwood etc to get the accurate look.

I do not want to run fertiliser under my top substrate, I will just have a medium to fine dark gravel substrate. I am happy to use liquid ferts to aid in the plant's overall growth and health, and both of my LFS's said this will be fine, providing I run the correct lighting (more specifically the bulbs).

I have a couple of LFS's in my area, both are very very good and very very informative and helpful. One said that running 2 x T5 bulbs would be fine for plant growth, the other said they would probably lean towards running 4 x T5 bulbs.

So I bit the bullet and brought a 4 x bulb T5 lighting unit, it was at a good price and good quailty, plus it has 2 separate switches, allowing either 2 or 4 bulbs to be on. So I saw this as the logical unit to get, that way if 2 bulbs is not enough then 4 can be run.

What I want to know from other members is...

a) Would you recommend 4 x T5's or 2 x T5's in my setup?

b) What bulbs would you recommend I run?

At the moment the 4 bulbs I have are...

2 x standard 'daylight' T5's
1 x Growlux (Sylvania)
1 x Aquastar (Sylvania)

I also have 2 other standard daylight T5's that came with the unit.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 12:44 PM
the configuration you have is near perfect, I'd swap one of the daylights for another growlux, 4 would be better IMHO, if you get too much algae, cut out the daylights all togther.

Mr Discus
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the advice ILLUSN, I will pop out in the next couple of days and get another Growlux and run that in replacement of one of the standard daylights.