PDA

View Full Version : help with gill flukes

george67
Sun Dec 09, 2007, 02:51 AM
what Is a safe way to treat a discus for gill flukes with praziquante
i was told by a fish shop you put it in there food is that right
and if so how much for 10 discus i have plecos & bn in my 6 f tank so i can't put praziquante in with them
thanks george

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 09, 2007, 04:41 AM
bristlenoses will be fine with prazi in the water, if you want to put in food (the bet way to use it)

to quote MAC

Prazi 400mg per 100gms of food fed for a week.

Greggy
Sun Dec 09, 2007, 05:50 AM
Formalin & Malachite Green medication (a'la White Spot/Ich treatment) also helps but Prazi is the medication of choice.

I'm not sure if your wise using them together though. Maybe run a course of each. What say you ILLUSN?

Regards,

Greggy

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 09, 2007, 05:53 AM
id run prazi only for 2 treatments (or fed in food for 1 week then a weeks rest then repeat).

I wouldn't bother with malechite green, it can leave a residue in your filter sponge that can cross react with other meds.

george67
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
[b]thanks for the help
cheers george :lol: :lol:

gypsy3
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:30 AM
so would that added to every feed?i feed mine 3 times a day.would i need to add it each time?

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 12:50 PM
I'd feed 2x a day, it wont poison them at that dosage.

Gajowa
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
I am just courious. How prazi applied into fishes stomach will kill flukes in it's gills? Can someone please explain that to me?
To get rid of gill flukes I would use prazi in the water.

Barbara

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 11, 2007, 12:57 AM
once ingeted it enters the circulitory system, there it travels all over the fish and once it get to the gills with the massive ammounts of capilaries (for gas exchange) it poisons the flukes as they try to feed on the fish.