PDA

View Full Version : 1st time parent~

eykw
Sat Dec 08, 2007, 01:19 PM
After putting 2 tanks of discus into one and then selling half off. I've finally got a breeding pair!!! I first found them in action after returning home from my B'day dinner! I was thrilled! the best gift ever! I've beening waiting for this day for ages!

They laid eggs on some fern. and guarded them for 4 days. by that time there were wrigglers and were starting to dash around. I knew this would be a protein feast for the rest of the tank. but I am still very happy to know that they are a true pair and were showing good parenting instincts.

I am no expert in discus. there are a few questions i'd like to ask. from the pics attached. I was thinking orange is male and brown is female. what do you think? also what are the offsprings likely to look like?

as i type this... the orange is cleaning the exact fern again and the 2 are flicking their fins at each other. i think they will do it again real soon. so excited. I will probably leave them in the community tank for a couple of more "runs" as recommended in the breeding basic article. and will move them into a honeymoon tank of their own. fingers cross!

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 08, 2007, 02:33 PM
brilliant photos mate, looking good.

eykw
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 12:34 PM
they just had another batch yesterday.

and to my surprise. there was another pair in the tank!!!
i think they laid eggs at the same time. cos the unfertilised eggs turned white already. the other pair only has a handful of white eggs. they laid on a broader leave compare to the first pair.

will wait and see.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
time for a breeding rack Eric