PDA

View Full Version : Tank Inflow and outflow question

Alex Cheng
Sat Dec 08, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hi All,

I am getting a new tank. I was going to do the usual filter plumbing with hoses running to a intake and outtake pipe sticking o the side.
The guy at the shop suggested drilling 2 holes in the bottom of the tank and having the plumbing go directly into the cabinet.
Has anyone done this before and would the recommend it?
What would be the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Alex

Muz SA
Wed Dec 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hi there

Well, it does depend on the tank size. I drill all my tanks, I have to have very neat tanks, don't want to see a heater, wire, pump zero.. so I build sumps which is basically just a tank under the main display which deals with all filtration, heating needs etc, I even feed and medicate from the sump, you can make it out of glass or just use a plastic container.. whatever suites you.. I use glass.

Whenever I drill the bottom of my tanks I do build a chamber around it and cut the glass to 5mm below where I want the water level to be, in this way if the power fails you will not just drain the tank, the water will only go as low as the chamber glass. Make sure your sump is big enough to carry all the water if teh power fails.

On the downside.. um, I suppose you have chambers in the tank which takes away water volume ( made up by the sump ) some people complain of noise but that is not a reality, you can control the water level within the chamber using a ball valve or any manual water valve under the tank, the water level in the chamber I keep to within 10cm of the water level in the tank.. no noise. Or you can use other systems.. dorso? is that one.

Um, I would not drill 3mm glass, or possibly even 6mm as well, those small tanks you can just as well run the pipe down the back.

I hope this helps

Muz

sponge2
Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hi Have you drilled your tank yet,
I have both top drilled on most of my sistems and just have a pipe on the inside down to the bottom as this keeps the bottom of the tank clear, but are 10ft dispay tank has a weir sistem and is drilled in three place,
This tank is double laminated 10mm and i do not think i would want to run a weir in less than 10mm
but does work very well.

Alex Cheng
Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:11 AM
I've decided to run the pipes from the top of the tank instead of drilling. That way there is more flexibility if I want to move the tank around.

sponge2
Fri Jan 04, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hi thats how i run all my 5s-6s and 7ft tanks in my fish house, its also easyer to set up.

Are you drilling the tank your self ???