PDA

View Full Version : parent eat the egg....help please....

sportivo888
Fri Dec 07, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I don't know why the parent eat the egg. i have 2 pair just start breed luckily

the discus are live in a community tank, included tetra, peppermint BN, pleco, other discus as well....
i did not check the water ph or nitrite because as they willing to lay egg, the water and temperature should be suitable for them.

ok this is the problem.
Both pair are the first time

first pair:

egg was stuck on driftwood, some orange colour some are white,then i have move them into a separate tank, then they eat all the egg.

second pair:

while the female lay egg, the male eat the egg after female have lay.

in this two day i have lost 2 batch of discus, as i can see average is 50+ each pair.

please can someone give me advise, this is the first time for both pair.

what should i do????

Thank you for your advise in advance

Steven

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:49 AM
Hi Steven,

This is pretty normal behaviour for young pairs. They often eat their first few batches of eggs.

Moving the first pair into another tank, even with their eggs, would be enough to make them eat the eggs to "protect" them. With discus, it's much better to leave them in the community tank and let them spawn 5 or 6 times till they learn how to protect their eggs.

By the time you then move them into a breeding tank, you'll find they are much better parents, and much less likely to eat their eggs or fry, because they've now learned to protect them from other fish.

Let them spawn a few more times in the main tank and give them a chance to learn how to be good parents :P

sportivo888
Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:58 AM
I AM VERY APPRECIATE FOR YOUR HELP MERRILYN

if anything happen i will need your help again :)

much much THANKS

Steven

martraci
Sat Dec 08, 2007, 11:34 AM
its like with kids,
when the first one comes, your learning the ropes
but by the fourth or fifth their second-nature
(btw i dont have children)

valkyrie
Mon Dec 10, 2007, 04:02 AM
its like with kids,
when the first one comes, your learning the ropes
but by the fourth or fifth their second-nature
(btw i dont have children)

No its never second nature, each one should come with their own training manual as they never have the same personality, problems, idiosyncrasies. (BTW I do have children)

Cheers