PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS FRY TANK

vlsvls
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hi

I set up a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft discus fry tank, i have my temp on 29, ph 6.8-7.0 & useing a box filter with just filter wool, i also added prime to the tank.

My questions are....

1-is tank big enough?
2-should i add anything to the tank?
3-how many days should i keep it running befor i add the frys to it?
4-should i change anything i did to the tank? (like ph,temp or add anything els to box filter ?

Thanks heaps

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:00 PM
the tank will be big enough for about 3 weeks, then you could go to a 8oL for another fortnight, then something like a 4 footer for 30-45 fry for best growth.

some bio media in the coner filter wouldn't hurt, that way you can move the filter with the fish to bigger tanks as they get on.

I'f its setup and clean you could move them in once it comes up to temp, 48hrs would be best, give the prime time to do its job propperly.

I'd bump the temp up to 30C, my growouts run at 30-32C. ph should be the same as the hatching tank (this is very important), the best way to do this is to fill your grow out tank(s) with water from your hatching tank, again the temp must also be identical.

Merrilyn
Sat Dec 01, 2007, 03:15 AM
Just a suggestion, but take the lid off your box filter when you have tiny fry in there.

I've had newly hatched fry get sucked into the box filter through the vents in the lid. Leave the lid off till they're strong enough to swim away from the current.