PDA

View Full Version : Identify This Brown

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:03 AM
I got this little fellow today. I am bit confused exactly what kind of cross this brown one is. Anyone have any clue? I thought it is quite cute that it has some blue colour around the half black bar it has.

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:12 AM
One more shot of the brown.

samir
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
its not necessarily a cross. some browns do have a prominent 5th bar. its mentioned somewhere in the book Malaysia Discus (is that the name?) though some unscrupulous fish stores will try sell it as a "wild rio inca heckel" of course its not wild, its rio ica not inca and its not a heckel.

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
The lovely guy who sold to me didn't market it as wild or heckel or any fancy name. He sold it to me for $30 which i am more than happy to pay for it. He breeds all these discus himself and one of them is born like that and i thought it is pretty interesting looking one so i bought it.

samir
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:54 AM
you could have paid $300 for it at a lfs in Sydney :shock:

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
come on samir... it is a lovely cute brown but it has not even had a full 5th bar so how can a lfs try to sell as heckel and charge $300? no one will pay for that.

samir
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:19 PM
you'd be surprised. i saw one with a slightly larger bar I think it was 350 not 300 and sold as a rare wild caught "rio inca heckel".

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
wow! really? my supplier charged me at much fairer price then and didn't sell me as any fancy type.

samir, did you see my other post of the red turq. and spot snakeskin? my supplier said they are brothers. from your experience what do you think their parents are which produced such two different strain of brothers? thanks.

samir
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:08 PM
from my leopard X snakeskin cross, I got leopard, leopard snake , snakeskin and turquoise. If you cross two snakeskins together you will get some turquoise.

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:01 PM
your knowledge rock samir. the guy i bought from told me he crossed spot snakeskin x green snakeskin to get these batch. he said it must be green snake tho for some reason. anyway, i am very happy with these two brothers, fancy cross them together but then two males won't give me babies. :lol:

ivo
Thu Nov 29, 2007, 02:26 AM
i spoke to the breeder and got some background about this brown. parents are red/white cross blue diamond and they produced a variety of offsprings. the batch was about 80 discus which consists of white swan, blue diamond with some red patches, blue diamond with some white patches, and only about 5 browns in the batch. of which only 2 browns show this funny half 5th stress bar and the remaining 3 browns have full 9 bars. pretty interesting batch.