africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:59 AM
What is the most expensive stain?

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:04 AM
Please exclude wild from the equation

dreamer
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:21 AM
there probably no such thing as 'most' expensive strain. all good quality fish are expensive :)

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:35 AM
That is not true, a good quality blue diamond will not sell for the same price as a good quality red melon.

It has to do with supply and demand. Some strains are rarer and fetch higher prices

A LFS would have a better idea of what I am reffering to.

jim
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:40 AM
I will say Albino Red Rabbit Eye..super red melon...Golden red spot in SLS (not sure how much as they did not put price for that fish on glass)

Aurora
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:52 AM
Nick (Nicholas76) on this site told me that he has pics of discus that are $40,000+!!!!!!

I didnt see any of the pics, but I would like to.

Dave

Escher
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:03 AM
The most expensive fish???

The one you cannot afford! :wink: In my case? Most of them. :roll:

Just kidding!

dreamer
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:12 AM
the rabbit's eye at sls sell for $350 for 2-2.5".

i guess the price is really depends on supply and demand, but the trends change every now and then... what we see here in our local lfs are mostly common strains ie. blue diamonds, red melon, marlboro etc..etc ..

sls brings rarer strains sometimes... but there are more strains out there ie. singaporean fireworks, wayne fireworks, spotted eruption, ring leopard, etc etc.

how do know which is the most expensive?

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:53 AM
Each breeder has their most expensive. I guess to say the most expensive is subjective. I am looking to find out what are the very expensive strains available in Australia at the moment.

kevkoi
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 08:46 AM
Which is the most expensive dog breed in the world? It's all subjective really....

A SUPERB show winning Blue diamond could fetch more than say a good quality Red melon.

The value of a fish is what someone is willing to pay. Say for instance, Chai Discus farm in Singapore had a "Web Leopard" back in 2002-2003 which swept quite a few international awards. This fish was superb. In it's prime, it was almost "priceless". I suppose if you offered the breeders $40K, they may have parted with the fish (but then again maybe not!), but there was no set value for that fish.

Generally speaking, the newer strains and the harder to breed strains naturally command more. A one-off "Freak" fish may also command a high price.

Currently some of the more expensive fixed strains we can get are the REAL Golden leopards and Golden leopard snakeskins. Albinos have been around for a while already. The price is high because of the problems in breeding this strain. Blind fry, slow growing, poor shape... etc etc. That said, the price of the albinos may come down slightly in the next couple of months.

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:12 AM
Albinos

Why would someone want to buy a blind fish? Bizarre

Are the parents blind? It must be upsetting watching them crash into the glass

kevkoi
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:51 AM
The ones that make it and are sold are NOT blind! The blind fry die out very quickly. The Albino discus spawns are very small as a result.

DiscusMan
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 04:00 AM
My recently obtained golden leopard snakeskin. Purchased from mr Roland Foo. Was told by others during show that price in market was around $3000 to $4000 but i haev no idea.

link to it as it wont let me load it here

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=423