PDA

View Full Version : Good old Turq

ivo
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:31 AM
It is just a good old turq but i think it is quite nice for a turq. what do you think?

ivo
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
One more picture.

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
those and browns are what got me hooked onto discus.

Red turks are still my favorite of all the domestics.

how long have you had him? does he ever show the nice stress bar through the eye and get the black "halo"?

ivo
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
i only bought him today so picture was taken a few hours after released him in tank. as you can see he is still in a separated section of the tank until he settles then i will release him tomorrow. the only time he showed black bar on the face was when he was in the bag. what do you mean by black "halo"? I found a very nice brown discus too absolutely gorgeous shape and i am currently trying to convince the owner to sell to me. hopefully he will. what do you think of this turq. illusion?

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
he's got good shape, and great colour, love how full the chest is.

i prefer turks will bars, to me they look more like wilds (how discus are ment to look), the black halo is a ring that form from the middle of the dorsal fin, all the way round, it incorporates the 9th bar in the tail and then continues throuigh the bottom fin.

I's an excellent beacon for fry to find the parents, once the fish start breeding.

the 2nd lot of pics of these wilds show the "halo" i was talking about.
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14744&highlight=

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 01:17 AM
I see what you meant by "halo" now. The only stress bars this turq shows sometimes is the middle bar and the bar after middle one, but predominately only showing middle bar in most cases. Kind of a strange turq. i bought it cos the shape and the vibrant colour. Too difficult to find wild discus and havent seen one in any local shops that i like.

benkk
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 01:40 AM
how did you manage to get the red colour bit stand out so bright ?

coz my red turq is not that red at all... can you teach me ??

thanks

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 01:57 AM
sorry mate, i can't teach you because i bought it from a private person yesterday and it is already like that. apart from teltra colour bit thats all the colour enhancing thing he fed. he said it is not exactly 100% turq. it is from a batch that he bred which consists of this one and some other spot snakeskin. my guess is the red stands out more than normal turq is because it is a cross bred and this is only my guess.

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:00 AM
Snakeskins are derived from turks anyway, the cross with the red spots may have contributued slightly to the color.
Its proably just bred from good stock, herd a rumour that a few asian farms have brought in some german red turks to boost up their bloodlines, some of the red turks that arived in oz a month or 2 ago are VERY RED!

ivo
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 07:53 AM
Can't help myself. I bought his brother today which looks like the old fashion LSS. Took the picture an hour after it was released in the tank so it is very shy to camera. Same sort of shape as the turq.

Anf
Thu Nov 29, 2007, 02:01 AM
Nice TurQ.

ivo
Thu Nov 29, 2007, 02:20 AM
Thanks Anf. I am pretty happy with it.

nchutz
Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:01 AM
That's not pure Turq...it had Leopard gene...
In here what i called Neon Red Turquoise...

Matt15
Sun Dec 30, 2007, 06:36 AM
I know this is an old thread but my GOSH Ivo thats an awesome turq.

nchutz
Sun Dec 30, 2007, 06:41 AM
Agree :)

Xtreme
Sun Dec 30, 2007, 08:18 AM
Yes mate very nice fish
But it seems all the turqs coming over these days r the new variety with broken patterns not like the old style like the german ones.
To me not all varients had to be improved as there was some good varieties out there
What happened to the old brilliant turqs ......gone.
Not too many these days
JMHO