PDA

View Full Version : Finally got young

Discus 41
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:06 AM
After many rounds trying to get my discus past the egg and wrigger stage i have finally had some success with my discus,i guess the trial and error thing does pay off after all.
I have now had the young 9 days and some of them are starting to take on that discus shape.
The photo's are of the young at 5 days,and I have been hanging off doing any posts to see if my good fortune would continue.
Started with about 70-80 young and have lost 5 over the past couple of days,is there anything else apart from daily water changes,PH checks I should be doing.
Your comments on the photo's would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Hawaiianstyle
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 03:28 AM
Very nice photo! I wish I could get mine to do that! Good looking discus too!

nicholas76
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:30 AM
They are lovely photos , great fry and your parents are awsum.

they look like a strain i havent seen in a very long time,, not blue diamonds what are they?

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:41 AM
Think you'll find they're white butterfly or snow white Nick.

Well done on getting the fry this far Ian. They're not an easy colour to spawn.

nicholas76
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 06:56 AM
aah thats it thanks merris

Discus 41
Wed Nov 28, 2007, 07:48 AM
Well all seems to be going o.k.touch wood I have only lost 5 young over the last week and they have now been with the adults for 2 weeks,so i thought i would post some updated photo's on their progress.

Thanks for your interests guys and girls one of my questions may of been answered by L/R as to what breed these discus were,the first photos didn't show the true colours of these guys but a couple of these new ones do,but i must say as a photogragher i suck.
I couldn't get the young to stay still long enough to get a clear shot even thought of super glueing one of the little bugger still(only kidding).

I have noticed that the young vary a lot in there colour,some are very pale and others look to have markings thru there body's.I guess only time will tell.

At what stage would you guys recommend the removal of the parents?

The young seem to be looking for food all over the tank,currently getting baby brine shrimp and crushed granules.

Thanks and any and all comments welcome

Ian

MACCA
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
Cograts to you Ian. I know they are blue in clour, just like a blue diamond but with an orange patch on their nose, so does anyone out there know for sure what they are? They seem to be larger and slender than a blue diamond which makes me wonder what they have been crossed with! I am one puzzled aquarist! Very nice looking fish though!

Discus 41
Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:54 PM
Well it's been a couple of weeks now and all is going very well,I have only lost 5 young in that time,so i'm really pleased with this pair as parents!!
I had to move mum out as they started to get a bit agro with each other,which is not a bad thing as it should give her a little time to recover for hopefully the next round.
I think these photo's are a bit clearer,so the next question would be do you still think these are white butterfly or snow whites,as I really don't know,and when it comes time to sell the young I think it only fair that I get the name right.
Would love to hear any and all thoughts and comments about this

Regards Ian

iro11a
Sun Dec 23, 2007, 02:56 AM
hey mate great sucess for there first spawn,i got my first fry going by ur dates 5 days before your got free swimming and i only got 10 left because alot of mine got sucked in to a internal box filter but now i got the sponge things will go better for me next time,you should't have any problems selling them.good luck mate.

Matt15
Sun Dec 23, 2007, 05:48 AM
Ian great photos mate. I'm so jealous seeing all those young swimming freely and growing in size.
Congrats.......!!!

scott bowler
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:18 PM
any updates on the young Ian nice pics hehe how are they going

Discus 41
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hi guy's

Thanks for the interest Scott the young are doing really well,ended up with 68 little blokes which is a credit to the parents,as you will see I have ended up with quiet a number of different colour young so I can't wait to see what I end up with in the way of variety.

I will probably now use these two fish as foster parents to hopefully raise other young with cleaner stains,but in saying that I'm am now on the hunt for an albino,either sex will do as either parent can do the job by themselves.

So if anyone in Melbourne has a good Albino they want to part with,drop me a line.

Regards

Ian

Discus 41
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi guy's

Thanks for the interest Scott the young are doing really well,ended up with 68 little blokes which is a credit to the parents,as you will see I have ended up with quiet a number of different colour young so I can't wait to see what I end up with in the way of variety.

I will probably now use these two fish as foster parents to hopefully raise other young with cleaner stains,but in saying that I'm am now on the hunt for an albino,either sex will do as either parent can do the job by themselves.

So if anyone in Melbourne has a good Albino they want to part with,drop me a line.

Regards

Ian

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 27, 2008, 11:44 PM
nice work mate!!!!

scott bowler
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 12:11 AM
nice Ian

locksmith999
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:10 PM
They look gr8 Ian, and its not just a credit to the parents but also your own breeding techniques!!!! well done mate and i hope to see lots more success in your efforts to breed in the futere :D
regards locksmithy

locksmith999
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:13 PM
They look gr8 Ian, and its not just a credit to the parents but also your own breeding techniques!!!! well done mate and i hope to see lots more success in your efforts to breed in the futere :D
regards locksmithy